2014 New York Chickenstock

Not 100% sure as I have never crossed these to anything but I did hear of someone crossing them to barred rocks and coming up with autosexers! Ill have to find the article... I dont plan on doing it but others do:)
Well I was right and wrong. You wont get black sex links, but I was wrong and you will get sex able chicks with barred rocks and cream leg bars.

Well off my phone and on computer and man there are a lot of stuff you can mix them with for auto sexing. It's hard to narrow it all down to a list each site says a different breed(s). Most don't list what to look for when mixing them to tell them apart. But I did find one spot that says if you do the leg bar x barred rock you would look at head dot like you would with normal barred rocks. From what I read auto sexing x auto sexing = auto sexing off spring. weather that off spring breeds true to anything I don't know. one person wrote of crossing them with light Sussex to make sex links using gold from cream leg bar and the silver from light Sussex. So you can use them with auto sexing barred breeds to tell off spring genders or you can mix with silver gene hens to make sex links. Ether way lots of options it seems. You just have to know what to look for in each chick.

I think you could spend days looking this stuff up and not have it pinned down to what all you can do with them.
If you realy want to know about the CCLB check out this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713115/cream-legbar-working-group-standard-of-perfection

I have read about half of it from the begining. Some good stuff there.Be warned though they get a bit technical there.

Ty you slowing picking through it seems first part is trying to get the standard set up for them.

Back in the 20's I think there was a group that developed a number of "Bars" sexlinks. The Cream Legbar hung on due to the Blue eggs. Others are the Rhodebars we see sold by GF but there were many others.

Seems to me that it wouldn't make sense only to the Commercial egg industry. Unless you got a good meat/egg cross. I'm not sure how many of us are filling our freezers with meat from our yards though.

It would be nice to have a nice sexable Marans.

I've considered bringing a big NH guy in to put in with my Del hens though. Unfortunately I'd need to breed more Dels to get new hens.

I'm not completely sure are CLB's a dual purpose bird? Though one has to consider that even if they are it takes feed and space to bring them up and that is not, IMO cost effective.

I thought it was a Marans roo over an EE or Amer hen that yielded an Olive egger? I have a couple and I thought it was my Marans roo over the hens. They were mixed for a time and my EE's are fliers. I did have a pure lavender Amer roo this past year. He's been traded for a Lavender Aruaucana.
Olive eggers are any dark egg gene chicken crossed with a blue gene chicken. That will give you F1 chicks. Some people look for F2 olive eggers because they are darker and you get those by crossing that F1 chick back to the dark egg gene chicken. EE's can be described differently depending on who you talk to and how they want to word stuff. I know on the ameraucana thread some are wanting mixed ameraucana's that breed true to standard but not color to be called non standard ameraucana's instead of ee's. But general an ee is considered blue egg gene and another breed crossed giving you ee off spring that wont breed true to color. Now the debate for non standard ameraucana is because you can take a silver ameraucana and breed it to say black and that off spring will breed blue eggs and could hold the standard of ameraucana shape but since they won't breed true to any color, they are considered ee's.

Anyways to the point left side is how to make an EE. Right side is how to make an OE. Top line is the original parents, second line is off spring, the third line is off spring of first set crossed back to the dark egg parent.

Back in the 20's I think there was a group that developed a number of "Bars" sexlinks. The Cream Legbar hung on due to the Blue eggs. Others are the Rhodebars we see sold by GF but there were many others.

Seems to me that it wouldn't make sense only to the Commercial egg industry. Unless you got a good meat/egg cross. I'm not sure how many of us are filling our freezers with meat from our yards though.

It would be nice to have a nice sexable Marans.

I've considered bringing a big NH guy in to put in with my Del hens though. Unfortunately I'd need to breed more Dels to get new hens.
There are sex able marans, golden cuckoo marans are auto sexing. They are like barred rocks sexing via head spot.

~~Quote: Originally Posted by SixHix View Post Does anyone know, are golden cuckoo Marans autosexing?

thats easy.... the males will be much diluted that the hens, the females will be brownish with a head spot, the males will be much lighter in color with a headspot extending to the back

post 40
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/409884/creating-autosexing-ee/30

ha ha ha True Dat Rancher (that is a modern Football slang)

If I had my way .... there would be no new footprint building ... meaning all that is now GROWING can continue and if more people want more babies - they have to realize they will have to build UP and not disturb any new spaces, or share homes more like people used to .... but that is not happening - and people just think about how much $$ they can get for their property ... not how we are going to breath .... Oh well - I'm going to be able to sustain my family on my plot of ground ..... I am not a doomsayer! But just listen to Bakin - just 2 years ago her WHOLE TOWN was cut off from everyone for a week. It did happen.

It was people like her that helped things along until temp bridges were up.

Last edited:
There are sex able marans, golden cuckoo marans are auto sexing. They are like barred rocks sexing via head spot.

~~Quote: Originally Posted by SixHix View Post Does anyone know, are golden cuckoo Marans autosexing?

thats easy.... the males will be much diluted that the hens, the females will be brownish with a head spot, the males will be much lighter in color with a headspot extending to the back

post 40
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/409884/creating-autosexing-ee/30

I had forgotten about the Cuckoos I used to have. However their eggs color was wanting. Not as dark as Coppers or even my Birchens. Then again sexing by the head dot is not as accurate.

Last edited:
ha ha ha True Dat Rancher (that is a modern Football slang)

If I had my way .... there would be no new footprint building ... meaning all that is now GROWING can continue and if more people want more babies - they have to realize they will have to build UP and not disturb any new spaces, or share homes more like people used to .... but that is not happening - and people just think about how much $$ they can get for their property ... not how we are going to breath .... Oh well - I'm going to be able to sustain my family on my plot of ground ..... I am not a doomsayer! But just listen to Bakin - just 2 years ago her WHOLE TOWN was cut off from everyone for a week. It did happen.

It was people like her that helped things along until temp bridges were up.

Well now you've taken a turn on a road I didn't intend. I was just musing on the amount of Commercial buildings. Not residential, though I do think some houses are way to big and selfish.

My neighbor has many acres of what is surely deforested land. Why? He's out on his rider mowing and for what. He's single. No sheepes nor goatses. It's not a farm. Again that is another story. Perhaps we could raid it on the darkest night of the year and plant trees while he sleeps. That would be so much fun.
clap.gif

I guess we should ask what are WE doing with our land. I'm about to make a chicken run but have considered just running the fencing through the saplings and leaving them there. I do have to cut down the invasive Buckthorns though.

I really want to plant more everygreens. Any kind just more green. Seems there's never enough green around here. Trees and $$$
lau.gif

Well I was right and wrong. You wont get black sex links, but I was wrong and you will get sex able chicks with barred rocks and cream leg bars.

Well off my phone and on computer and man there are a lot of stuff you can mix them with for auto sexing.  It's hard to narrow it all down to a list each site says a different breed(s). Most don't list what to look for when mixing them to tell them apart. But I did find one spot that says if you do the leg bar x barred rock you would look at head dot like you would with normal barred rocks. From what I read auto sexing x auto sexing = auto sexing off spring. weather that off spring breeds true to anything I don't know.  one person wrote of crossing them with light Sussex to make sex links using gold from cream leg bar and the silver from light Sussex. So you can use them with auto sexing barred breeds to tell off spring genders or you can mix with silver gene hens to make sex links. Ether way lots of options it seems. You just have to know what to look for in each chick.

I think you could spend days looking this stuff up and not have it pinned down to what all you can do with them.

Ty you slowing picking through it seems first part is trying to get the standard set up for them.

SWEET!!! Had me second guessing my research! lol Sorry you were wrong though:) hahaha I did know that the Legbars are amazing for creating autosexers. I do have a rhodebar hen that I will put her in with the CCls since she lays brown eggs-so I will have chicks that lay olive eggs that are autosexers!!! I LOVE GENETICS!!

Last edited:
SWEET!!! Had me second guessing my research! lol Sorry you were wrong though:) hahaha I did know that the Legbars are amazing for creating autosexers. I do have a rhodebar hen that I will put her in with the CCls since she lays brown eggs-so I will have chicks that lay olive eggs that are autosexers!!! I LOVE GENETICS!!

Np i dont mind being wrong or looking up stuff if questionable. Found out anything with bar at end of name is auto sexing breed welbar, rhodebar ect. I found a site that had other auto sexable birds listed but lost the page when power went out. I love the genetics of chickens just wish i knew more about it and didnt get so lost in some of the topics. Just hitting my one year mark with chickens so still alot to learn and google lol.

Last edited:
Haven't been on in a while, but count me in! I can bring some hatching eggs for the raffle. I'll have to see what I have in the breeding pens, but it will probably be Black Jersey Giants (I got a nice batch from Sand Hill that are just massive).

Hi JLaw, we're neighbors! I'm in Villenova!

Back
Top Bottom