2014 New York Chickenstock

Update on my BCMs-
Lost my roo saturday night
sad.png
, So I'm not sure if I'll be replacing him in time to bring chicks. I will bring some eggs for the auction though, Hopefully BCM, but def (I guess I should say "hopefully" for all of them) Brabanters which seem to have some interest.... I also have Khaki Campbells... could bring them along as well....

Update on my BCMs-
Lost my roo saturday night
sad.png
, So I'm not sure if I'll be replacing him in time to bring chicks. I will bring some eggs for the auction though, Hopefully BCM, but def (I guess I should say "hopefully" for all of them) Brabanters which seem to have some interest.... I also have Khaki Campbells... could bring them along as well....

Sorry for you loss. I'm sure there is someone with a spare BCM roo.

I keep two BM roos just in case and will with my Dels when I get some more hatching eggs. The one I got now is a wienie. I intend to order some eggs.

I have a friend who says she has a BR roo from me and I intend to get him asap. Then it's hatch city once he fertilizes some eggs. Two roos to each coop. Can't hatch when ever one kicks it. Gotta keep a spare. I learned my lesson.

I could use some more Black Copper Marans. I only have three hens and two roos. I actually have them in a breeding pen right now, but they barely lay an egg a week. I'm not sure if it's because of the weather or they are just horrible layers. My golden cuckoo marans in the other pen give me an average of 3 eggs a day and I only have 4 hens.

I could use some more Black Copper Marans. I only have three hens and two roos. I actually have them in a breeding pen right now, but they barely lay an egg a week. I'm not sure if it's because of the weather or they are just horrible layers. My golden cuckoo marans in the other pen give me an average of 3 eggs a day and I only have 4 hens.
wow! 3/4 is great- I just noticed recently my BCM egg rate is pretty low- I need a few more myself!

Sorry for you loss. I'm sure there is someone with a spare BCM roo.

I keep two BM roos just in case and will with my Dels when I get some more hatching eggs. The one I got now is a wienie. I intend to order some eggs.

I have a friend who says she has a BR roo from me and I intend to get him asap. Then it's hatch city once he fertilizes some eggs. Two roos to each coop. Can't hatch when ever one kicks it. Gotta keep a spare. I learned my lesson.
Good idea.. Maybe I will get two more roo & a couple more hens to bump up the production...!

I'm not completely sure are CLB's  a dual purpose bird?   Though one has to consider that even if they are it takes feed and space to bring them up and that is not, IMO cost effective.  

I thought it was a Marans roo over an EE or Amer hen that yielded an Olive egger?   I have a couple and I thought it was my Marans roo over the hens.  They were mixed for a time and my EE's are fliers.  I did have a pure lavender Amer roo this past year.  He's been traded for a Lavender Aruaucana. 

Sorry to say pure CCLs I would not consider them to be real dual purpose...of course a chicken is a chicken and you can eat them but you wont be getting cornishx meat off of them or marans meat :lol: They do lay well and their eggs are beautiful...then take their breeding values...Im happy :p

Could be the ratio. The roos are stressing the hens out so they don't lay?

Sorry to say pure CCLs I would not consider them to be real dual purpose...of course a chicken is a chicken and you can eat them but you wont be getting cornishx meat off of them or marans meat
lol.png
They do lay well and their eggs are beautiful...then take their breeding values...Im happy
tongue.png
Edtied to add the first part of my reply that DISSAPPEARED between typing it and hitting submit:

I have never gotten "store" size meat pieces from any bird I have butchered but with just 2 of us even a Sumatra is enough meat for one meal. I bet the CCL would make a good soup or stew if there are more than 2 in your family. (and hitting submit again)

This is all that appeared the first time I hit submit:
Can someone tell me again what I need to make my own meat birds? I am seriously considering a second (third) coop and putting in the breeds needed to hatch my own meaties. Why? Cuz I can.
lau.gif

Last edited:

My Birchens do pretty good. They aren't every day of course but they do pretty good. Them and Dels are pretty good winter layers though they let up pretty good in December. Christmas break you know.
lol.png

With BCM's are they always like that? or is it just the time of year. I've found that with roosters one is dominant and he's the one pestering the girls. Take him out and the other one jumps up the pecking order. Raised together or if a much younger one is brought in they will do okay. Especially if roo #1 is the Daddy.

Sorry to say pure CCLs I would not consider them to be real dual purpose...of course a chicken is a chicken and you can eat them but you wont be getting cornishx meat off of them or marans meat
lol.png
They do lay well and their eggs are beautiful...then take their breeding values...Im happy
tongue.png

Right now I wouldn't say my Dels are dual but they've declined since my big roosters have passed on. I will get them back up though.

My Birchens are very nice, and I've a nice size EE roo too.

My BR's are good size but have never been good layers. I think it's hard to judge these days. Of course on the farm you snagged who ever for Sunday dinner, so you had to keep a lot of birds.
lol.png

The CR's are also good size and seem to be laying nicely of late. I think the stress of over crowding affects how well they lay too. I also think some birds don't do well if confined. My Dels are okay but the Birchens and BR's are not. They want out.

Right now I could eat a few and still have plenty of eggs. This doesn't include the 20 from today.

Back
Top Bottom