2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Darn. Still lots of folks in the pea forum that don't have awards, and I'd like to see everyone have at least the friend award. Curiously, where is everyone that used to post here? Are they all over at BookFace now?

For the most part I would say yes. I try to entice them to come back but I don't think they feel the need to give back to the forum that helped me so much when I was getting started.

I can see their points about answering the same old 'what color or sex is this chick?' And the same cocci and worming misinformation that makes birds sick and then when you do give them the best information available they argue with you. Oh well, it is what it is.

For the most part I would say yes. I try to entice them to come back but I don't think they feel the need to give back to the forum that helped me so much when I was getting started.

I can see their points about answering the same old 'what color or sex is this chick?' And the same cocci and worming misinformation that makes birds sick and then when you do give them the best information available they argue with you. Oh well, it is what it is.

Completely understandable... but then there's the ones that ask for help who genuinely need it, apply it, appreciate it and learn... and that makes it all worth the hassle and the ones who choose to stay ignorant...

I know a few of them are on the BYC Facebook group, but they're in other peafowl/pheasant/gamebird forums on Facebook. I'm on a lot of groups on Facebook, so I still see everyone else. The BYC Facebook group doesn't have much of other poultry species though. Mainly it's all chickens. There are some here and there posts that involve ducks, geese, turkeys, or peafowl. Very rarely though. There's usually a lot of Emergency, need help posts such as bad neighbors, medicine, injuries, dogs, predators. Some of them are questions on breed questions, identification, coop designs, feeds, some other stuff. A lot of times there will be repeat posts/questions. An example is the "Yogurt improves egg laying in chickens." post/question. When one person posts it, then 5+ other people will do the same. Topics you need to be careful with is GMO vs. Non-GMO and Organic vs. Commercial. There are people that will give their opinion in a civil, friendly way, arguments are completely avoided. Which is very nice. Unfortunately, most of the time, it starts an argument, very bad argument, then it spreads like wildfire, then the post is shut down. Those two topics are the "Political" posts there. There's always an argument when those topics come up. Other than that, the Facebook BYC group is nice in my opinion. I still like using this BYC version though.

Never even considered that there would be a BYC FB page, then again, there is one for every other group so why not. I am in about four peafowl groups and one secret group on FB, it isn't so different than here except that the discussion is much faster. The big difference to me is that this site is searchable and information can be found where on FB if you make a couple of clicks you may never see that post again.

I have a question about hatching pea eggs. I love this forum and have learned so very much here!

I've had a few pea eggs get all the way to almost hatch and then no external pip. I start them under broody chickens for a week or two, then they go into a brinsea advance w turner on their sides, at 99.5F w/ 50% hum. I turn them 3x/day in addition. End of day 23, early day 24 the go into a hovabator to hatch at 98.4F w/ 62-71% hum. I have 5 viable eggs due to hatch next week. Any hints, tips or suggestions? Thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?
IMG_3446.JPG
I think the one on far left is malpositioned, but the other 2 look like they should've hatched to me.

Back
Top Bottom