2017 Groundhog Day Hatch-a-long!

Most of these are May Hatches and already laying fertile eggs: You might have seen this one: These two are the same age the turkey was 11 pounds the Toad was 15.5 This is the father of this years toads. They hit full weight at around 15-16 weeks, I like to let them go a little longer to assure I get filled out birds. The drumsticks are huge. I am very proud of my toads. You can not believe how many people told me it was impossible to do, They were almost right. I have a 4h kid that is going to show some in the meat division this year. I would love to beat the CX's with them. Oh they are good layers and the eggs are 2.9 to 3.1 ounces.. they are huge.
Interesting. When things thaw out over there I might try to get some toad eggs off you. I want a good meat bird but despise the CX.

Last edited:
I free range these most the year, now they are in a covered run and coop, because of the stinking weather here.

The birds are very mellow and you have to not over feed them and make them work a tad for their feed.

I free range these most the year, now they are in a covered run and coop, because of the stinking weather here.

The birds are very mellow and you have to not over feed them and make them work a tad for their feed.
If you were to cross them with something like a partridge chantecler who that help them to not get to fat to fast and also get rid of the single comb?

If you were to cross them with something like a partridge chantecler who that help them to not get to fat to fast and also get rid of the single comb?

That is a good possibility . The Chanticler is a good sized bird, I just never had one around when I started this a few years ago. I might try and see what it does to them this summer.

That is a good possibility .  The Chanticler is a good sized bird,  I just never had one around when I started this a few years ago.    I might try and see what it does to them this summer.
I've got a mix of one, he's partridge chantecler and Jersey giant. He's rather large with a comb like the chantecler. Would be interesting to put him over some toad hens.

I've just set the Calls!

@duluthralphie Yes I'm repopulating the world with dux- just to replace all of the innocent webs that you have composted :cool:

Quote: lol I am a gentle egg roller love.... that black line on some of the eggs is ONLY for telling which batch of eggs they are and when set on my calendar. I use the colored sharpies
and the calendar for all my egg hatching and incubation notes. Tolbunts are probably infertle but the icelandics are also white so some will be pulled as clears. and have had issues with serama since I switched to tiny roos. so five days or so I will figure out what eggs to pull.

Back
Top Bottom