3 week old Speckled Sussex gender? UPDATE: 7 week old pics!

Thanks for your reply. I too feel 1-3 are pullets and 4-6 are roos. I was hoping for a couple more girls but oh well lol. Now that I went back and looked at your chicken on my computer enlarged it does look like a pullet. This breed is a pain in the butt to sex lol. I hate the waiting game and getting attached to birds I can't keep.
hmm.png

For some reason the more I looked at your photos the more difficult it became to sex them. In fact, I still can't tell for sure. And that's weird because I had mine pegged at 4 weeks. They behaved exactly the same way, but they looked so different from each other, even then. I posted these pictures before on this thread, but I'll post 'em again just for grins and giggles.

At just a few weeks....roo on the left, pullet on the right.

At 18 weeks, same positions.

Last edited:
For some reason the more I looked at your photos the more difficult it became to sex them. In fact, I still can't tell for sure. And that's weird because I had mine pegged at 4 weeks. They behaved exactly the same way, but they looked so different from each other, even then. I posted these pictures before on this thread, but I'll post 'em again just for grins and giggles. At just a few weeks....roo on the left, pullet on the right. At 18 weeks, same positions.
In person I can see similarities in the first three and similarities in the second three. That's why I think I have three of each. I wish the difference was a straight forward as yours was though.

I wanted to add some photos of mine now that i know for sure who is the pullet and who is the roo in hopes of helping other sex there ss.

Roo started with no tail-about 1.5 weeks

here's his face:

Pullet had one:

Here's her face:

This is mine at 1 month.Roo on the right.

This is the pullet at 1 month. He was much prettier than her at this time.

This was about 6-7 weeks and his comb was huge and really red but still no crowing. He went to live with my friend shortly after this picture was taken.

Last edited:
This is a great thread...anyone want to weigh in on if my SS is a cockerel or pullet? Just a few days under 12 weeks. Was supposed to be a pullet...I was thinking cockerel from about 2 weeks old. Still not much of a tail...but the comb and waddels should be bigger and more red if male...right?

Back
Top Bottom