3rd Nest of the Season!

Interesting- Is that really true, that the female can store sperm for a whole month?!  Yikes!

I have not verified it myself, but yes that is what many state as a fact based upon their experiences...

Yes I want chicks, but so late in the season could pose problems with a cold winter coming up.

I still have a few pea eggs in my incubator as well that are due in a few weeks, my local egg supplier's hens stopped laying for about 2 weeks (end of July start of August) when the cocks lost their trains, then dumped about a dozen eggs mid August, they appear to be about 75% fertile vs the 95%+ I was getting earlier, so still mostly viable... I personally brooder indoors so I'll just keep them inside for a bit longer, or section off an heat a small part of the coop for them...

Does it mean any thing that Blue dropped his tail so early this year?

Many reports of the cocks dropping their trains early this year, likely just one of Mother Nature's cycles..

Thanks MeepBeep. Great information. My Chicken House is attached directly through the garage, so if she does hatch chicks- I can keep em warm in the winter- while letting Mom raise them-I'm not set up with incubators or brooders. Strictly a small time pet peacock and chicken home. Hoping the early train loss doesn't herald another tough winter like last year. I kept having to open the hen house to the garage to let the chickens and peafowl roam inside the (heated) garage to stretch their legs. Made for a very messy garage and a really high electric bill. Prior to this year, this hen has hatched 6 out of 6 eggs two years in a row, 100%. Havent seen whats under her now. When I hear her leave the nest next, I'll check. I've learned my lesson about disturbing her to look at the eggs- thinking thats how her first clutch this year went bad. I need a lesson on what to do and what not to do when moving eggs. Her previous 100% success rate,(aswell as that of another peahen I had) was when I never touched her or the eggs at all. Ever learning!

So here is Lucy on nest 3 of the season. 4 Eggs. Not touching them this time.....not interfering at all. Not even going to write the hatching date in my calendar. I've learned to leave all that to you professionals out there. Here, we are strictly a "fly by the seat of your pants" kinda operation. In the past, when I paid no attention, had no problems- just happy surprises. This year, when I hovered and checked and timed it....got nuthin but disappointment. So... here she is, well camaflaged- in a great location.... but I'm closing my eyes and not looking, I mean after this picture that is....
Wish her luck ! Not me, cuz I'm not lookin!

So here is Lucy on nest 3 of the season. 4 Eggs. Not touching them this time.....not interfering at all. Not even going to write the hatching date in my calendar. I've learned to leave all that to you professionals out there. Here, we are strictly a "fly by the seat of your pants" kinda operation. In the past, when I paid no attention, had no problems- just happy surprises. This year, when I hovered and checked and timed it....got nuthin but disappointment. So... here she is, well camaflaged- in a great location.... but I'm closing my eyes and not looking, I mean after this picture that is....
Wish her luck ! Not me, cuz I'm not lookin!

Good luck to you both. My silver pied hen started sitting around 8/23. I managed a candle at about 8 days along and 3 were alive and developing, these will be really late chicks if they hatch for us, I mean them!
wink.png

Thanks DylansMom, yep Lucy started setting around Aug 28 I think. You and I are in the same winter climate. When I posted on Facebook that Lucy was setting again, a friend sent me this link to sweaters for the chicks. If they hatch- we may both need these. They're predicting another REAL winter.

Thanks DylansMom, yep Lucy started setting around Aug 28 I think. You and I are in the same winter climate. When I posted on Facebook that Lucy was setting again, a friend sent me this link to sweaters for the chicks. If they hatch- we may both need these. They're predicting another REAL winter.

clap.gif
That's too cute, I think we should get them some whether it's cold or not!

clap.gif
That's too cute, I think we should get them some whether it's cold or not!
I Know, Right?! This came from ETSY, So went there and plugged in Chicken sweaters-....OMG, Do you know how many sources there are for chicken sweaters?! They are adorable, but ....
well...huh?
I'm scared to type in Peachick sweaters......you do it, I dare you!

I Know, Right?! This came from ETSY, So went there and plugged in Chicken sweaters-....OMG, Do you know how many sources there are for chicken sweaters?! They are adorable, but ....
well...huh?
I'm scared to type in Peachick sweaters......you do it, I dare you!

Well no luck on "Peachick Sweaters" but I loved the chicken turtleneck sweater, the chicken wearing it kind of looks like Sean Connery
lau.gif
and it comes in bantam size, bet that would work!

Last edited:
Well no luck on "Peachick Sweaters" but I loved the chicken turtleneck sweater, the chicken wearing it kind of looks like Sean Connery
lau.gif
and it comes in bantam size, bet that would work!
Your right. He does! Well if we're going to dress our peachicks up in sweaters, lets not forget the all important hat! After all, we Northerners know that 40% of body heat is lost through the head...(or something like that anyway).

Back
Top Bottom