3rd Nest of the Season!

Poop-Baby is active and alert, but is hobbled because of spraddle. Mom and sibling were moved into the heated barn, and if I cannot return Poop-Baby to mom I have a home lined up where a bunch of chicken chicks just hatched today, so he will not be alone. Drinking a little off my fingernail but hasn't eaten yet.
thumbsup.gif

love.gif
he is cute,

Thanks DylansMom, Sorry about the failed reunion. Thats tough. I think my peahens eggs are duds.
hit.gif
Tomorrow, I might crack one and see. Ughhh... If you need a surrogate Hen, to raise PB, Lucy would do it. WE could slip the chick under her and take the bad eggs. She's a great mom. I could give PB back after a few months old, when it could hang with the other chick. Though, now I remember you saying you have chik chicks PB can live with. Well, the offer is there if you need. Don't know how far away in PA you are. Good luck

Thanks DylansMom, Sorry about the failed reunion. Thats tough. I think my peahens eggs are duds.
hit.gif
Tomorrow, I might crack one and see. Ughhh... If you need a surrogate Hen, to raise PB, Lucy would do it. WE could slip the chick under her and take the bad eggs. She's a great mom. I could give PB back after a few months old, when it could hang with the other chick. Though, now I remember you saying you have chik chicks PB can live with. Well, the offer is there if you need. Don't know how far away in PA you are. Good luck

I'm so sorry you haven't gotten chicks. I am actually kind of amazed that I did, my male dropped his tail more than a month before she laid these eggs. And thanks much for the offer to surrogate PB, if we were closer I would probably take you up in that, although I think it is getting too late and PB is already thinking my hand is Mom.

PB is eating and drinking on his own now, and this next pic is for you @casportpony

Fingers are crossed, but I think he may actually do okay, despite his less than ideal entrance into the world.
love.gif

Dylan'sMom, I am required to ask how Poop-Baby is doing? The first thing my youngest asked this morning was, "how is Poop-Baby today?" Lol, she loves Poop-Baby
love.gif
and is quite taken with the whole story. She keeps pestering me for updates...
gig.gif

She actually had her science teacher and about half of her science class reading the Poop-Baby thread at school
lau.gif

Oh yeah, and the shark fin turtle cozy won in the classroom favorite clothing debate, apparently narrowly beating out the chicken sweaters...

Good thing she can't drive yet, or she'd be doing an unauthorized road trip
roll.png

Dylan'sMom, I am required to ask how Poop-Baby is doing? The first thing my youngest asked this morning was, "how is Poop-Baby today?" Lol, she loves Poop-Baby
love.gif
and is quite taken with the whole story. She keeps pestering me for updates...
gig.gif

She actually had her science teacher and about half of her science class reading the Poop-Baby thread at school
lau.gif

Oh yeah, and the shark fin turtle cozy won in the classroom favorite clothing debate, apparently narrowly beating out the chicken sweaters...

Good thing she can't drive yet, or she'd be doing an unauthorized road trip
roll.png

Poop baby has done exceptionally well. Today he was racing from one end of my bedroom to the other, then he would make that pitiful "Lost chick" noise they make when they cannot find Mom. I would call him and wave so he saw the motion and he would run across the room as fast as he could, flapping his wings and jumping at the same time. Very pleased with himself.
big_smile.png
He eats a lot and poops a lot and as anyone who has raised a lone chick knows, he cries a lot. If he had the company of other chicks he would be fine, but he knows that being alone is just not natural for a 4 day old chick. The only time he isn't crying is when we are holding him or interacting with him. Unfortunately it just isn't possible to carry a peachick around all day, too dangerous for the chick. For this reason, I knew I had to find PB a new home with some other chicks to keep him/her company. I have several trips coming up, so getting chicks to keep him company just wasn't an option. I was able to find a nice family that just hatched some chicken chicks the same day PB hatched. These folks had bought some late season Peacock eggs from me back in August and they didn't hatch, so I gave them Poop baby to raise. My son and I both got a little choked up, but I know it is the right thing to do, for PB's sake. It is just amazing how quickly you become attached.
hit.gif
If I hear any news from the new family, I will be sure to update all of PB's fans. Considering how the little one's story began, this really is a very Happy ending.

On a side note PB's sibling is 5 days old today, when I went out to feed this afternoon I found it sitting on a 4' high roost beside Mom. I'm thinking maybe PB wasn't a slowpoke after all and this one is just super precocious. Gonna be a handful!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom