3yo RIR, egg problems? liver dz?

Double yolked eggs are more common at the beginning and end of a chicken’s laying life, if my understanding is correct.

I would continue with calcium supplements for the one laying soft shells. Also check her crop each morning to make sure it’s empty. Check her abdomen regularly for swelling (ascites, caused by internal laying and infection). Make sure your flock is parasite free.

Did you end up changing their food to a higher protein % and less treats?
Everyone's had a stern warning about the treats. :) They get a lot of protein, really. The feed may be just 16% but they get additional mealworms every night. I think they're getting a lot...

I had heard that about the double yolks too. The plumbing just isn't up to snuff fore and aft. That's why I mentioned it; she's the same age. I doubt the "genetics" of these birds is super healthy or less than quite commercial. Perhaps this is a slight factor regarding their longevity on the margins?

I can stuff more calcium down her gullet. I just worry that if she's... I worry there's an underlying problem and just giving her calcium without addressing the real problem could do more harm than good? But it's not as if I have any idea. I guess I could try it again. Today's the 21st I'll do 10 more days...

Rhode Island Reds are a production breed and egg laying issues are not uncommon especially as they get older. That’s why I said keep an eye on her abdomen, palpate around her breast, keel bone, under her vent etc to monitor for any swelling which would indicate a reproductive disorder.

I’m going to say it again, I think you should give them a feed with more protein. This will improve feather quality and egg-laying. The bare minimum protein plus mealy treats isn’t going to optimise their well-being. Egg-laying is the first thing to go when protein is lacking.

Watch your flock to make sure no one is getting picked on or bullied, to make sure everyone is getting access to food, and check everyone over regularly for external parasites like lice and mites which can contribute to feather deterioration.

I can’t remember from earlier posts but do you worm your flock? Worms can cause issues with egg-laying and cause changes in droppings/dirty feathers around vent.

Rhode Island Reds are a production breed and egg laying issues are not uncommon especially as they get older. That’s why I said keep an eye on her abdomen, palpate around her breast, keel bone, under her vent etc to monitor for any swelling which would indicate a reproductive disorder.

I’m going to say it again, I think you should give them a feed with more protein. This will improve feather quality and egg-laying. The bare minimum protein plus mealy treats isn’t going to optimise their well-being. Egg-laying is the first thing to go when protein is lacking.

Watch your flock to make sure no one is getting picked on or bullied, to make sure everyone is getting access to food, and check everyone over regularly for external parasites like lice and mites which can contribute to feather deterioration.

I can’t remember from earlier posts but do you worm your flock? Worms can cause issues with egg-laying and cause changes in droppings/dirty feathers around vent.
I also have been giving them supplemental "whole field peas" (animal feed) which has 19.64% protein. I haven't really figured out how to get them to take it though. I thought it would come split but they're big whole peas and I need to crack them probably. I tried a mortar/pestle and that wasn't very good. I'll use a blender next. I've been tossing it into the mash I ferment for them so they're at least softer. They get scarfed.

The flock is just 4 chickens. And the RIR is more likely to bully than be bullied, but everyone's pretty even-keeled these days.

I am not sure how to deworm a flock. I have looked for worms in their feces and don't see any; haven't looked with a microscope or anything. I should think they would all have them though if it were a problem?

Any chickens that have access to the ground will have a wormload in their system. Some people worm regularly and others worm when the birds show symptoms. It might be a good idea to worm your flock and see if that helps improve things. If you’re in America I think people use a product called Safeguard.

Any chickens that have access to the ground will have a wormload in their system. Some people worm regularly and others worm when the birds show symptoms. It might be a good idea to worm your flock and see if that helps improve things. If you’re in America I think people use a product called Safeguard.
Just reading this from @wyorp:
Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

She produced an egg! I resumed the calcium and this morning there was an extant egg. It had that slightly transluscent, mottly look and indeed the egg shell was rubbery. But it was a real egg; massive yolk. So I returned to giving her more calcium daily.

Back
Top Bottom