4 chicks killed, 1 in shock, 4 very anxious HELP

Scottish-Hen

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
Scottish Borders UK
My daughter forgot to close the door after walking mum jack Russell who is staying with us for a while.

This is the first week we have let the older chicks out unsupervised during the day.

She has shaken 4 to death (one died in my daughters arms (she's 9)

4 seem anxious but ok and are in their coop with extra hay for warmth

The ninth one is just sitting there. She seems in total shock. I have her wrapped in a warm towel inside on my knee just now.

All of the survivors have had poultry nutri drops.

What else can or should I do?
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png

No blood beforehand and I don't think cocci.

She's hugely better today.

Wish I could say the same for my daughter. She's having flashbacks and nightmares. Been in our bed every night since it happened poor baby
1f614.png
Oh, Bless her little heart...
Here's a good article on helping kids get through grief, particularly of pets. It may help :)

http://rainbowsbridge.com/grief_support_center/Grief_Support/Chrildren_and_petloss.htm

Having seen it happen makes it really hard on her, but she will heal emotionally and maybe even learn from it. Lots of hugs, reassurance, and maybe a cool new nightlight might help her with the nightmares!
And of course lots of prayers from the chicken people on the internet :)

unfortunately you are doing what you can. Let the ladies rest the nutri-drops are a great addition. I recently had a neighbor get a small dog and after 5 years of freedom with no problem I lost 3 instantly and the 4th died as she was coming out of shock. I may have put her back in the coop too soon.

As for the rest of the Ladies they should settle down once they feel safe.

Good luck and unfortunately just watch is the best you can do if there are no injuries to fix. Allow your daughter to help as much as she wants and even though it sucks accidents happen and she will learn from this.
hugs.gif

It might also help to walk the dog away from the chickens. Even with them locked up safe.

Currently the one on my lap is switching from dozing to sitting up with her mouth wide open.

Kerry (the dog) isn't allowed near them... We're wondering if that's the reason why she went on a bender. She doesn't go near the adult chickens who wander free range.

Currently the one on my lap is switching from dozing to sitting up with her mouth wide open.

Kerry (the dog) isn't allowed near them... We're wondering if that's the reason why she went on a bender. She doesn't go near the adult chickens who wander free range.
Unfortunately, though we love our pets, we must remember that dogs and cats are natural predators. It doesn't make them a bad dog, just a dog doing what dogs do. Some are better about it than others, and some will always follow their hunting instincts. There's not always a reason why they did it.
When I have a bird go into shock, I put them in the spare shower with some treats and water. I try not to over handle them, just check on them every so often. There isn't a whole lot you can do to bring a bird out of shock, but a million ways to make it worse.
Does she have any injuries? They can be hard to find through feathers, but she may need antibiotics if she was bitten.
So sorry this happened!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
A hair dryer on low setting parts feathers like a gentle breeze so you can see the skin and much faster than trying with hands.
and I agree a spare tub or quiet corner is the best thing food and water and just watch her.

Unfortunately, though we love our pets, we must remember that dogs and cats are natural predators. It doesn't make them a bad dog, just a dog doing what dogs do. Some are better about it than others, and some will always follow their hunting instincts. There's not always a reason why they did it.
When I have a bird go into shock, I put them in the spare shower with some treats and water. I try not to over handle them, just check on them every so often. There isn't a whole lot you can do to bring a bird out of shock, but a million ways to make it worse. 
Does she have any injuries? They can be hard to find through feathers, but she may need antibiotics if she was bitten. 
So sorry this happened! :hugs

My daughter was all for having Kerry put down but we've had the chat about natural predators even amongst pets.

I can't see any external injuries ... I have gentian violet for anything external.

I've had a couple of little 'trills' from her and she's eaten some toast crumbs. She's just snuggled now... Waiting game now unless anyone can think of anything else?

My daughter was all for having Kerry put down but we've had the chat about natural predators even amongst pets.

I can't see any external injuries ... I have gentian violet for anything external.

I've had a couple of little 'trills' from her and she's eaten some toast crumbs. She's just snuggled now... Waiting game now unless anyone can think of anything else?
The fact that she is willing to eat is great :) sounds to me like she can pull out of this!

Back
Top Bottom