5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I all!

This is the list of Eggs set and participants. Please send any corrections to me via PM.

Please let me know by noon tomorrow.

I will announce the winner of the number of eggs set contest after the Deadline!

grinning-smiley-003.gif
Good Luck!
I'm so excited and I'm not even doing the hatchalong.
ya.gif
SO excited for my bator thats coming soon too.
wee.gif

okay that makes sense. and yes please share with us what you learn from that book!! i love getting books filled with information :) i have a stack of chicken books i acquired in the last few months!
should i change over to just regular starter when i let them in with my older hens? I dont have two separate coops and i think my girls could use the extra protein from the starter feed

im glad you mentioned that because i wouldnt have thought that the light would melt the cage.... the cage is metal with i think a rubber coating so that would have been bad...

I dont know if we have cocci here. My older hens were vaccinated for it and i remember reading that if they are vaccinated and you feed medicated starter it causes the vaccination to become obsolete, or something along those lines. I was thinking that i would get the small bag of medicated starter by manna pro then change them to a grower starter that they could share with the older hens when they move in together. (let me know if this is a bad idea)
and i have been looking for a GMO free feed for both my goats and chickens but i cant find anything around here and i dont have the money to have feed shipped to my house... the closest thing i can find is the organic blue seal feed but it is $35 for a 50lb bag, and thats only for chickens, i cant find anything for my goats too

My favorite chicken book and a must have for any chicken keepers library is "The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow. Published in 1994, it is indispensable for health related issues in plain speak. It also has lots of good info on management, feeding and housing.
I just learned there is a new edition coming out in January. The '94 edition can be had on half.com or amazon for very little.

Everyone has coccidia. It is everywhere. There are different strains. Most people choose to use medicated. The medication is a thiamine blocker and does nothing for anything but coccidiosis. I have rarely used it. A little coccidia exposure will make them resistant. The best defense is to keep the bedding bone dry and the feeders at least half full and you won't have to worry about it. It is a protozoa that has a multi stage life cycle. It can't live in a dry environment. If the bedding is wet, the coccidia will prosper. Then if the birds need to search the bedding for food, they'll ingest too much and be overwhelmed.
Another defense is probiotics. Either from a probiotic in the water/feed or fermented feed.

Vaccination is normally for Marek's disease- a virus completely unrelated to the protozoa coccidia. Vaccination for coccidia is relatively new and very few hatcheries do it.

Feeding a grower for a mixed flock of layers and non-layers is the best bet.
Never feed layer (4% calcium) to birds that aren't actively laying.

I set 8 more eggs today, but since they have been in the mail for so long and had funny shadows when I candled them, I am not expecting any of them to develop and will not be counted in the NYD hatch even if they do.
sad.png
It's really sad.... but hopefully I learned my lessons.

In my experience locally. TSC is very good about moving their food before it is beyond the pale.

I keep light on them 24/7 for the first week so a white light is ok then. After that they need a dark period so I'd switch to a red light or a ceramic emitter.
The first week they'll sleep whenever they get tired and when they're awake I like them to have food.
A red light limits pecking. Chickens in constant bright lighting tend to go a little crazy.
And like any earth bound creature, they need a dark period.

I'm begging for a textbook for Christmas called 'Poultry Lighting'  that has the up to date research on chicken's photo receptors, physiology, intensity, ahemeral lighting and color spectrums, source, pathological and behavioral consequences of extremes of illumination . It's about fifty bucks.
After I read it I'll be able to share.

Ohhhh! If you get that tell me if the eye through the egg shell thing is true!

I all!

This is the list of Eggs set and participants. Please send any corrections to me via PM.

Please let me know by noon tomorrow.

[ATTACHMENT=588]NYDHatchalong2014eggssetforHatching.pdf (47k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I will announce the winner of the number of eggs set contest after the Deadline!

[IMG]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-003.gif[/IMG] Good Luck!

1338 so far that puts me out, I didn't win... I guessed 951
Oh wait I'm going to have hatchlings... that makes me a winner anyways! :celebrate

Taking advantage of all of you hatching out thousands of fluff balls, if you're located in western maine or eastern nh and you want to sell some chicks, let me know ;-)
You know, I was thinking that it would be neat if Ron, or someone who wouldn't mind doing it, would list all the BYC members participating in the NYD hatch, where they live, the breeds and numbers of chicks hatched, so if there are people that wanted chicks they could contact that person and buy locally
highfive.gif

I am contacting those that did not post their hatch numbers so that I can get a total. I will give a cutoff to let me know and then total what I have for you all.

celebrate.gif

I am setting 13 quail eggs. I broke 2 today. and 13 OE eggs on the 13th of Dec 2013. I finally got my incubator adjusted so it was not spiking wildly.

If you need a photo I will have to get it to you in the wee hours of the morning because I am hatching on the sly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom