5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I am still waiting on my young pullets to lay a first egg but I am looking forward to reading about all of your chicks on New Years day! I am a new year baby too so maybe next year I will join the hatch along.

Caroline in florida

Yes - first try to see through the lid with your light, to see if you see movement, but at this point it is likely you will have to remove the lid and candle for movement, then proceed accordingly. If the chick is still breathing I would agree with ChickenCanoe and SoManyHats, you will probably need to try assisted hatch.

Understandable. Stay calm and keep us posted. We will help as much as we can. All of life is learning, and this will be another lesson, whatever the outcome.

I just candled it and its pitch dark you cant see a thing
hu.gif

Now's not the time to panic.
It is what it is.
After this much time with no movement, I would probably get the egg out of there, follow the directions in the assisted hatch link and start peeling shell.
I'm sure it won't hatch on its own after what it has been through.

Just take your time. As said, follow the good instructions in the link. The main thing is to get enough shell off to see if it is still alive. If it is then you can work from there. If it isn't then your work is done.

Back
Top Bottom