5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I have my fingers crossed I will get a incubator of Christmas!
fl.gif
If you get one, your life will never be the same....I hope you get one!

I am still waiting on my young pullets to lay a first egg but I am looking forward to reading about all of your chicks on New Years day! I am a new year baby too so maybe next year I will join the hatch along.

Caroline in florida
Some of my summer hatches are starting to lay eggs. One of my Horstman Straight Comb Rhode Island Reds laid her firs egg yesterday.

Now's not the time to panic.
It is what it is.
After this much time with no movement, I would probably get the egg out of there, follow the directions in the assisted hatch link and start peeling shell.
I'm sure it won't hatch on its own after what it has been through.
Do not panic but I would check to make sure the pip is open. Use tweezers to carefully open the hole to find the beak. You may need to remove the membrane a bit. Look for active veins. A little bit of blood is ok but make sure there is not a bunch.

Assisting can be trying. I try to help as little as possible. Try to keep the bottom intact and do not take the chick out of it. The yolk may not have absorbed completely yet and there could be a hernia.

And I have 5 other eggs that were supposed to hatch but didn't and was wandering if I could start to crack those and peel those eggs even know they havent started hatching,better than not doin it

It was fully developed but for some reason it didn't live
he.gif
hugs.gif
I am sorry!

If today is hatch day, then leave them alone and keep humidity up. If there are not pips in a day then you can check for signs of life in the eggs(chirping and movement when candling).

Two days after day 21 with now pips it is ok as a last ditch effort to use a pin and pop a little hole into the big end.

This one did not absorb the egg yolk. Temperature is the first thing to look at and then humidity and lastly ventilation. Where they shipped eggs?

Back
Top Bottom