5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

It was fully developed but for some reason it didn't live
he.gif
This is all part of the process.... don't beat yourself up, learn from it. Research and read. I hope the others go better.
hugs.gif

I
I'm so sorry! I always worry about having to cull a unhealthy chick. What is the most humane way? Has anyone done the vinegar and baking soda method?

The fastest and likely most humane is to use a paper towel, zip lock bag and a pair of scissors.

gas sounds easy but they take a bit of time to die. They are dead in seconds with the scissors. The paper towel is so you do not have to see...

Last edited:
Thanks everybody but I candled the other eggs and we broke into all the other eggs and they were yoke or a fetus about 2 inches long at the most and so I didn't get one chick out of the 6 eggs I collected from my flock(they were not shipped eggs) so I guess I'll order from a hatchery in January
he.gif
hmm.png

My bator (its in my sig, ultra-bator) the way its set up now can hold 300 plus. Everything listed in my sig plus ee's, barnevelders, lavender and buff orps, leghorns, silkies. At this point that's just a guideline. Im open to most any breeds
Pictures would be great. For some reason I'm not seeing it in your siggy. I sure won't need to set 300 eggs but I like looking at the pictures.

Quote: hens can be aggressive too so 5 yrs down the road if you have used all aggressive roosters and only their offspring to maintain your flock you could end up with hens that peck at you and attack other hens more than desired. I had some production hens that would fight with legs in the air just like roosters. I eventually sold them off.

Thanks everybody but I candled the other eggs and we broke into all the other eggs and they were yoke or a fetus about 2 inches long at the most and so I didn't get one chick out of the 6 eggs I collected from my flock(they were not shipped eggs) so I guess I'll order from a hatchery in January
he.gif
hmm.png
Meyer hatchery is in your state. You might be able to pick up your own chicks and see their operation too.

Sorry about the hatch, I would check the temps it looks like maybe they passed shortly after entering lockdown.

Last edited:
The fastest and likely most humane is to use a paper towel, zip lock bag and a pair of scissors.

gas sounds easy but they take a bit of time to die. They are dead in seconds with the scissors. The paper towel is so you do not have to see...
2x

Sadly last yr ppl talked me into believing the vinegar/baking soda was humane, clearly they had never done it & stuck around.
IT WAS NOT HUMANE not at all. I've had to put down animals from llamas, to dogs to newborn kittens, pigs, rabbits, lots of things, & that was the most horrible way to do it!
I will never ever ever do it that way again. Seriously I had nightmares after filled w/ guilt not b/c I had to cull the chick but b/c of that method. :(
Anything else would be faster/kinder...zip lock & *sharp* scissors would be much much kinder. Others opinions may be different, but that was how it was for me.

2x

Sadly last yr ppl talked me into believing the vinegar/baking soda was humane, clearly they had never done it & stuck around.
IT WAS NOT HUMANE not at all. I've had to put down animals from llamas, to dogs to newborn kittens, pigs, rabbits, lots of things, & that was the most horrible way to do it!
I will never ever ever do it that way again. Seriously I had nightmares after filled w/ guilt not b/c I had to cull the chick but b/c of that method. :(
Anything else would be faster/kinder...zip lock & *sharp* scissors would be much much kinder. Others opinions may be different, but that was how it was for me.

I wouldn't have the guts for the zip locked method. cutting it would make me scared.

could you drop it in boiling or ice cold water? I didn't know if that would work.

I hope I don't have to cull any chicks....I would feel TOO bad and would be haunted....knowing I killed a chick.

I wouldn't have the guts for the zip locked method. cutting it would make me scared.

could you drop it in boiling or ice cold water? I didn't know if that would work.

I hope I don't have to cull any chicks....I would feel TOO bad and would be haunted....knowing I killed a chick.
I know that culling is part of keeping chickens, I hope to never have to do it either! But, it's a important topic so you know what to do if and when you are faced with it, sorry to bring up such a grim topic on Christmas Eve! Just something that was on my mind. I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!

I
I'm so sorry! I always worry about having to cull a unhealthy chick. What is the most humane way? Has anyone done the vinegar and baking soda method?

I have a machete I keep at the compost pile. It is very quick for chicks. Don't dillydally.
he.gif
hmm.png
Look at the nutrition of your flock for next time. Regular layer and grower feed is sufficient to produce eggs or grow birds but insufficient for optimal production in breeders.
I'm not saying that's it. Just look into it.

I am getting a late start and mine will not hatch new years but i do have some that will be die a week or 2 after . duck and chicken eggs!! Can i post my pics even tho i am late lol?

I would LOVE to see them.

But what I would like to know is how do you keep up with that many pets? Do you ever forget to feed anybody?
gig.gif

Quick question - I have some eggs that are due to go on lock down tomorrow morning. I will remove them from the turner, however, should I put them in an egg carton fat end up, or lay them on their sides in the incubator??

Back
Top Bottom