5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Quick question - I have some eggs that are due to go on lock down tomorrow morning. I will remove them from the turner, however, should I put them in an egg carton fat end up, or lay them on their sides in the incubator??
that's actually my question too. ive seen some create a little egg holder that can hold the egg on its side....ive also seen some hatching in cartons....ive seen some hatch on bator screen.....what is the most affective way?

if they are all equal, I think I will just place mine on the bator screen.

I know that culling is part of keeping chickens, I hope to never have to do it either! But, it's a important topic so you know what to do if and when you are faced with it, sorry to bring up such a grim topic on Christmas Eve! Just something that was on my mind. I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!
oh its fine! I think its important to know too.

my mom just made me my birthday cake for tomorrow....its AWESOME!
she made me an egg! she also had fried egg candy (candy to look like fried eggs) she placed the eggs next to the cake......I asked to draw on a bulls eye...LOL. well she said no....but when she left I took a toothpick and drew on bulls eyes with icing! LOL ill post a picture later! it all looks great!

Quick question - I have some eggs that are due to go on lock down tomorrow morning. I will remove them from the turner, however, should I put them in an egg carton fat end up, or lay them on their sides in the incubator??

See how will they hatch in an egg flat?

I'm expecting 2 or 3... my new toy arrived today and checking to make sure it works.... now just add chicks good and water...... oh so nerve wracking .....
1f62c.png
1f630.png
1f616.png

Your warmer is a bit big for your brooder. Chicks will tend to get wedged between it & the wall & won't be able to get out. If you turn it around it will take up the space you need for food & water. I would suggest a brooder about twice the size you have now to put that warmer in.

OOoo I got one of those for my hopeful little NYD fuzzbutts. I am still deciding on what to use for the brooder, so good to hear the thoughts about having space all around it.
hit.gif
It is sad when they get stuck and die....

Pictures would be great. For some reason I'm not seeing it in your siggy. I sure won't need to set 300 eggs but I like looking at the pictures.

hens can be aggressive too so 5 yrs down the road if you have used all aggressive roosters and only their offspring to maintain your flock you could end up with hens that peck at you and attack other hens more than desired. I had some production hens that would fight with legs in the air just like roosters. I eventually sold them off.

Meyer hatchery is in your state. You might be able to pick up your own chicks and see their operation too.

Sorry about the hatch, I would check the temps it looks like maybe they passed shortly after entering lockdown.
Yes,that's the hatchery I'm gonna use cause the minimum order of chicks is 3 thanks though

I took a couple of pictures if my candling tonight, I cannot see squat in the marans eggs. The 3 trader joes eggs have some dark veining with super hyper babies inside! my blue laced red wyandotte eggs arrived and have 17 resting also can't forget about Uno!!!!

Great photos...catching up.

Back
Top Bottom