5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Well I have bad news..... the 2nd candling of our eggs show that only one egg holds a day 14 embryo.
sad.png
I don't see movement in it so I am just hoping it is alive, but the others have certainly not grown since day 10 or so. Now I am just praying it lives to hatch day. It would be sad to not have any at all!
And I hope the other 8 have good signs in them when I candle them Friday. Man wouldn't it be a wonder to incubate 15 eggs and get 0 chicks.....

It happens, I have 1 egg that is alive right now..out of 4 doz.! But, it took that package 1 full week to get to me..and the weather was real bad at the time, in most of our country. We were in single and minu degrees at the time I finally got the package. Not sure why it took so long for the package to get here..I honestly did not think that any would be alive, the packaging around most of the eggs were damp, meaning, they had been in warm, then cold, probably a few different times. I hope this baby makes it..and it's a girl. That would be neat. I have some Rhodebars from someone else that made in a timely manner, but they were very very cold. I have Rhodebars and two of the maran eggs they threw in..think one Maran egg is gone, will candle tonight to make sure. Splash marans.
droolin.gif

Got a pleasant Merry Christmas to me surprise from one of hens today. Didn't expect this girl to lay so soon..was thinking at least another couple of weeks, but there it was, and nice little brown egg from my red sex link. Not a bad size egg for a first either..of course, it was a sex link. :)

Last edited:
It happens, I have 1 egg that is alive right now..out of 4 doz.! But, it took that package 1 full week to get to me..and the weather was real bad at the time, in most of our country. We were in single and minu degrees at the time I finally got the package. Not sure why it took so long for the package to get here..I honestly did not think that any would be alive, the packaging around most of the eggs were damp, meaning, they had been in warm, then cold, probably a few different times. I hope this baby makes it..and it's a girl. That would be neat. I have some Rhodebars from someone else that made in a timely manner, but they were very very cold. I have Rhodebars and two of the maran eggs they threw in..think one Maran egg is gone, will candle tonight to make sure. Splash marans.
droolin.gif

Got a pleasant Merry Christmas to me surprise from one of hens today. Didn't expect this girl to lay so soon..was thinking at least another couple of weeks, but there it was, and nice little brown egg from my red sex link. Not a bad size egg for a first either..of course, it was a sex link. :)
Congrats!! Now I am going out to check the nest boxes. LOL I have two pullets ready to lay at any day.... just waiting on them. LOL

I refrained from commenting in this forum as I did a bad thing....I could not handle it - started the incubation early. BAD ME! Fuzz butts are due Friday. Yes, I am bad about peeking @ gifts under the tree too.

I refrained from commenting in this forum as I did a bad thing....I could not handle it - started the incubation early. BAD ME! Fuzz butts are due Friday. Yes, I am bad about peeking @ gifts under the tree too.

It is great to hear from you!

I can't wait to see pictures!

Saturday night for me. I was a smidge early, but only about 12 hours early.

So far, nobody stinking - that I can detect, anyway. Can't see anything through the shells, so I gave up on candling. I hope I get at least one pretty blue marans pullet out of this
love.gif
I would love to have a dark egg layer. Well, considering my other two pullets aren't laying yet, I would love to have ANY egg layer
lau.gif
Sending lots of
jumpy.gif
wishes out to everyone

Is most everyone on lockdown?

I am moving 11 to the hatcher tomorrow for a (hopefully) weekend hatch, then the NYD eggs Sunday night for Wednesday hatch which I hope comes off on time, as I will have more to move Thursday. Poor planning, I should have waited another day to set that group.

I now have 4 broodies, 1 on 6 Silkie eggs, 1 on 8 Dominique eggs, and a pair on 4 Silkie eggs (at last count anyway) and 4 Dominique eggs. I ordered a dozen Dom eggs and received 18 (!) so set the last 6 in the incubator. In the next few weeks, if things work the way they should, I should have a lot of chicks :)
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom