5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I have mulled over this issue of forced air and still air for hatching, and have to confess I've seriously considered finding a still air to trial side by side with my 1588 with fan. Interesting.

I use both still air and fanned bators and there is a difference in my opinion. Eggs seem to start better in the still air but I see no difference after the first week or so. Lately I start mine in the still then move them to the fanned when I see veining ( I'm a little overcrowded with eggs)

Oops! and Oh! I got a pip!
wee.gif
pop.gif
clap.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
congrats hope all goes well
fl.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostercluck View Post

I have been reading about keeping the temperatures between 97-100 once your later in the hatch. My temp. right now is around 102. It is a still air. I don't really want to mess with the knob because it is very touchy. Will the eggs be ok with a higher temp?

102 seems high especially if it isn't at the top or above the eggs in a still air. I would try to tweak it down a notch. I understand the touchy thing though. I've been there.

102 is the temp. at the top of the eggs, so I think I will leave it because I don't want to go too far down.

Well just got through sniffing all the eggs. (Never thought I would be announcing that!) No stinkers, as far as I can tell.

C'mon chickies!
grinning-smiley-003.gif

I am going to do that soon too. I need to dig out the Brooder and clean up the Genesis for hatching too.

Oooh how exciting this is!

Sooo, another oddball question for all to weight in on - as I mentioned last week, my new Brinsea turner is clicking, and Brinsea sent the new clutch and motor (yay Brinsea!) which arrived last Friday. I am moving 11 eggs to the hatcher tonight, which will vacate that incubator. I have the NYD eggs, and eggs from the following Saturday, in the Brinsea. My thought is I will move them all to the vacated incubator long enough to bring the Brinsea into the living room and replace the motor and clutch, then set it back up, warm it back up, and move the eggs back into it. 1 - is moving the eggs twice asking for trouble? 2 - is moving the Saturday eggs at all an absolutely terrible idea because they are Day 12? If so, is it reasonable to try and just lift the incubator out of the turner cradle, and just unplug that, replace the parts, and set the incubator back into it? Think I can do that with less jostling of the eggs than moving them? Ugh, I hate overthinking these things, I just don't seem to be able to stop LOL

sounds like a plan
I don't think up to an hour unheated will hurt. What's keeping the eggs warm in the nest when the hen is defecating, eating, drinking and stretching?

Back
Top Bottom