5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Sooo, another oddball question for all to weight in on - as I mentioned last week, my new Brinsea turner is clicking, and Brinsea sent the new clutch and motor (yay Brinsea!) which arrived last Friday. I am moving 11 eggs to the hatcher tonight, which will vacate that incubator. I have the NYD eggs, and eggs from the following Saturday, in the Brinsea. My thought is I will move them all to the vacated incubator long enough to bring the Brinsea into the living room and replace the motor and clutch, then set it back up, warm it back up, and move the eggs back into it. 1 - is moving the eggs twice asking for trouble? 2 - is moving the Saturday eggs at all an absolutely terrible idea because they are Day 12? If so, is it reasonable to try and just lift the incubator out of the turner cradle, and just unplug that, replace the parts, and set the incubator back into it? Think I can do that with less jostling of the eggs than moving them? Ugh, I hate overthinking these things, I just don't seem to be able to stop LOL

Take the incubator out of the turner cradle. You do not even have to turn it off. The octagon is designed to tilt on the sides. When my turner needed to be replaced, I manually turned it for several days.

wee.gif
WOW-EEEEEEEEEE!!! Tonight is Day 20...I was making my breakfast and I heard one of the eggs moving. It was a quick tapping sound as it was moving against other eggs! Kinda feel like waking everyone up but they would be mad...so I figured who would be as eggcited as me? My BYC peeps!

I couldn't get the humidity up at lockdown, but a feminine hygiene product brought it up to 58%. Dd was amused by that.
lol.png

There are five small eggs in there from the CCL eggs I had shipped...possibly new layers because they are bantam size. Because they are so small, is it possible they could hatch early?

OK Roostereggs, you can't just drop a vague hint for something so important as maintaining humidity! Out with it. What feminine product is it? I am having a devil of a time just to get the humidity up to 28%.

I know somewhere along the line in the last year-ish, there was a change to the way images were added into posts, and I have found the only way I can add them is to first upload them to my profile. You just click on My Profile in the upper right corner of any page, scroll down to my photos, click on upload, select Community or Personal, folder, name if you want, browse, and select what you want to upload and upload them. It is time consuming that one time only, after that it's a snap to put those pictures into any post you create.

There is another way. When you get to the reply box look at the bar above. I have mine opened all the way our. If yours comes up closed it will say "More" in the right hand corner. Click on it and more options open up. Look to the top left of the menu bar and see the button labeled "Sourse". Then look to the icon bar below it. The first icon is supposed to represent a photo of mountains and a sun, a landscape. This is the photo button. Click on it and it will open a window and you can upload you picture directly into your post.

This is Rufus my blue/black and red OE.

Well just got through sniffing all the eggs. (Never thought I would be announcing that!) No stinkers, as far as I can tell.

C'mon chickies!
lau.gif
I know! I always feel like some kind of creeper when I'm picking up eggs one by one and sniffing them.
gig.gif
Good news that you've got no stinkers! Hatch time is getting so close. I can't wait!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

OK Roostereggs, you can't just drop a vague hint for something so important as maintaining humidity! Out with it. What feminine product is it? I am having a devil of a time just to get the humidity up to 28%.
I think others have mentioned using a maxi pad in lieu of a sponge. They are designed to absorb a lot of moisture and no chance of little ones falling in and drowning in and drowning with them. That is what I am planning to use for lockdown this time.

There is another way. When you get to the reply box look at the bar above. I have mine opened all the way our. If yours comes up closed it will say "More" in the right hand corner. Click on it and more options open up. Look to the top left of the menu bar and see the button labeled "Sourse". Then look to the icon bar below it. The first icon is supposed to represent a photo of mountains and a sun, a landscape. This is the photo button. Click on it and it will open a window and you can upload you picture directly into your post.

This is Rufus my blue/black and red OE.
That is exactly how I upload my photos too.
big_smile.png
Rufus is gorgeous.
love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostercluck View Post

I have been reading about keeping the temperatures between 97-100 once your later in the hatch. My temp. right now is around 102. It is a still air. I don't really want to mess with the knob because it is very touchy. Will the eggs be ok with a higher temp?

102 seems high especially if it isn't at the top or above the eggs in a still air. I would try to tweak it down a notch. I understand the touchy thing though. I've been there.

102 is the temp. at the top of the eggs, so I think I will leave it because I don't want to go too far down.

Seems a bit high to me too. I would lower it pretty quick. I use still air. When I go into lock down, I have around 99 to 100..may fluctuate between that..it's a great temp for them for hatching. They just need to be warm enough, but 102 seems a bit high. :/

It's your call. 102 at the top means 101 at the embryo. Seems high to me this late in incubation. I'm definitely not a genius when it comes to this.

Seems a bit high to me too. I would lower it pretty quick. I use still air. When I go into lock down, I have around 99 to 100..may fluctuate between that..it's a great temp for them for hatching. They just need to be warm enough, but 102 seems a bit high. :/
OK. I lowered it down and adjusted the knob. Thank you for all of the helpful info. I really want my hatch to go great.

Back
Top Bottom