5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Yes, there is a lot of growth during the last couple of days. Unless they pip into a blood vessel and the chick did not develop correctly, they will be fine.
So true. I set eggs 3 consecutive days and they're very different.

Hey, Kalalyn, you might want to throw some paper towels down over that newspaper. The newspaper is too slick for the chicks to stand on and some think it can lead to splayed legs and/or slipped tendons. I always keep it layered - 6 layers of newspaper, two layers of paper towels - for the first week, news paper and shavings the second week.
X2

Last edited:
Some of mine have pipped lower than the air cell line and are fine. We could even see their beaks/heads and there was no fluid or bleeding. Remember that during the 3 days of lockdown the cells likely get bigger, so our lines aren't up to date! A few of mine were 1 to 1.5 cm below. If it was significantly lower pipping, then I would be concerned.

okay thank you!

I put mine in hatcher today...few hrs ahead,,,I was not available for tomorrow<<<busy building coops ,,,I just had a Jersey Giant pullet /hen go broody.
yesss.gif
..She setting on Dk Cornish/Jersey Giant. I using them for meaties.
D.gif
Ok <<Back to eggs.
clap.gif
.I think I threw one EE/Ameracauna and one Japaneses. Recount with pics,,,,

I filled the bator back up....
thumbsup.gif
ones one the left will got to hatcher this week,,ones on right are new setter,,,

I like that.

Lockdown has started for me..... and to my surprise the baby in the darker egg had grown since day 14 candle so I have TWO! Now, fingers crossed, prayers are said and the brooder is warming- come on chicks!
jumpy.gif

The 50 is different. They will not get stuck in the same way.

If you have a 50, you need someone to build you a big brooder LOL
Question...

I built a frame...dunno what to enclose it in. I have a TON of screen from a screened in porch my uncle redid...can I screen the frame? Or do the walls have to be a solid material, like plywood or plastic, etc.?

Back
Top Bottom