5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

It will be neat to see what the RSL with the Silkie roo turns out to be like. Just for kicks I stuck a RSLxSilkie roo egg into our incubator too. It looks to be fertile so.......hope its a cutie!
I'm sure they will be pretty gorgeous chicks
tongue.png
I hope they'll be as broody as the Silkie hens I have (If they don't all turn out to be Roosters - which seems to be my luck). Good luck on your hatch!
fl.gif

eta: my lock down. gonna let it run today to see if humidity needs adjusting. then it's hands off...

If this pic is taken exactly as your hatcher currently sits, you might want to try and figure out a way to level it up a bit more - I doubt very much it will impact the hatch, but it looks low on the top left corner of the picture and could change humidity balance or make it easier for hatching chicks to roll around or make other eggs roll. Sorry, I live with a guy who insists on balance and symmetry, he drives me nuts with comments like this, but he's almost always right. Could also just be more food coloring there :)

If this pic is taken exactly as your hatcher currently sits, you might want to try and figure out a way to level it up a bit more - I doubt very much it will impact the hatch, but it looks low on the top left corner of the picture and could change humidity balance or make it easier for hatching chicks to roll around or make other eggs roll. Sorry, I live with a guy who insists on balance and symmetry, he drives me nuts with comments like this, but he's almost always right. Could also just be more food coloring there :)
OMG!!! Food coloring in the water! See, this is why a newbie to incubator hatching (like me) should be following this thread.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Oh and Chicken Little is doing fine. Made her a sweater tonight out of half of a leg warmer. The ankle part went around her head. I cut slits for her wings. This will cover her bare spots and protect the stitches. Now I have to make one for Long John Silver. Oh, and thanks for the chicken dreams! :jumpy I dreamed I looked in on my eggs and the chicks and the quail exploded out of the eggs and ran up my arms and crawled inside my shirt. :lau
:)

If this pic is taken exactly as your hatcher currently sits, you might want to try and figure out a way to level it up a bit more - I doubt very much it will impact the hatch, but it looks low on the top left corner of the picture and could change humidity balance or make it easier for hatching chicks to roll around or make other eggs roll.  Sorry, I live with a guy who insists on balance and symmetry, he drives me nuts with comments like this, but he's almost always right.  Could also just be more food coloring there :)

oh yeah dont worry its level! just the food coloring lol but thanks! it's on my desk which is very level.

I'm worried tho because I put in a bunch of water cuz it's been dry here but now today it's going to rain all day and I think my humidity might spike :(

Quote:Originally Posted by roostereggs

Oh and Chicken Little is doing fine. Made her a sweater tonight out of half of a leg warmer. The ankle part went around her head. I cut slits for her wings.

This will cover her bare spots and protect the stitches. Now I have to make one for Long John Silver.

Oh, and thanks for the chicken dreams!
jumpy.gif
I dreamed I looked in on my eggs and the chicks and the quail exploded out of the eggs and ran up my arms and crawled inside my shirt.
lau.gif
smile.png

LOL!!! I went to the Goodwill Thrift Shop and bought a small child's sweater in the worst condition there was (I didn't want to get something that a child might really use, it had a lot of stains on it) to make little sweaters for some of my bantams!!!!
TY for the pics..I have been thinking of sewing them to keep the cut edges of the sleeves from raveling, but now I don't think I will sew them...it will be much simpler!!

Back
Top Bottom