5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

2 Marans pipped wrong end! I haven't lost a wrong end pipper yet. We shall see. Lol, this is hatching..I was already nervous about how thick those Marans shells were, turns out that's the least of it!
fl.gif
Lord please be with my chickies!

Closed the lid at 12:08 AM 12/12.

Pipped last night about 8:00 p.m.

2nd pip about midnight.

Up with the baby at 5:00 a.m. We have a chick!
celebrate.gif

and another pip!
yippiechickie.gif

Can't believe it! The early bird is an EE aka Brahmacauna
lol.png
A little gold chipmunked feathered legged cutie. Pictures later!

My daughter called and said we have one pip so far, and it is one of the two questionable's that almost did not make it into lock down, so I am pleasantly surprised!

Eggs were set on the 11th timed to hatch on 1/1/14. Day of set is day zero. I think it turned out there were more set than the guess contest winner guessed, a lot of folks piped up to let us know they were hatching along after the game was done, but either way it was a good number, I think over 2000? A lot of people had pretty serious challenges getting eggs delivered in time to set.

Speaking of delivered eggs - I've received eggs wrapped in paper towel three times, and the first two times had zero hatch no matter how the outer wrap was built. Right now I have a dozen Dominique eggs under broodies that were wrapped in paper towel, the ones I put in the incubator did not develop and I am considering candling the ones under broodies to see if they have developed. One person said they had had great success shipping that way, but so far I sure haven't as the receiver. Has anyone else had success hatching eggs wrapped in paper towel?

Guilty. I try not to get lost online, and when I set mine at midnight on the 10th it was just a personal decision to aim for the ball drop - then I popped in and realized I'd timed along with lots of other folks, and...
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom