5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I set a day later than most of you (the 12th at 1:30) and went into lockdown yesterday.

So far I have nothing but rocking going on. Haven't heard any peeps or pecking or anything. Today is day 19, should I be hearing something by now?  I would have thought they'd have pipped internally already...maybe I'm just being impatient, but jeez louise...the suspense is killin' me!!

I don't go into lock down until the 5th, I don't want to wait...

@ronott1 - pls to save me a minute (hour+; I can't stop reading...) Were we supposed to post a pic of set or of lock down? I didn't take a pic at set, because at the time I wasn't in 'hatch-a-long' mode, just setting eggs... I posted one at lock down (16 of the original 25 got there) Not that it really matters, I suppose - I still get to keep the chicks!!!
love.gif

Last edited:
@ronott1 - pls to save me a minute (hour+; I can't stop reading...) Were we supposed to post a pic of set or of lock down? I didn't take a pic at set, because at the time I wasn't in 'hatch-a-long' mode, just setting eggs... I posted one at lock down (16 of the original 25 got there) Not that it really matters, I suppose - I still get to keep the chicks!!!
love.gif

Picture of set and then a picture of hatched.

I trust you though.

Gryeyes, this is one time it seems like a great idea to have a House Silkie :) Congrats!

Renee, I am glad to see you, last I knew you were not going to be breeding anymore, which made me sad, you had so many interesting projects and shared so much great information! Best of luck to you! I'd love to know more about your new facility if you wouldn't mind sharing.

I have the second pipper almost completely zipped and 5 more pipped, one down at the wrong end, first time I've had that happen, but I can see the beak and the chick is breathing, so I don't think I should risk the other pipped chicks by trying to help yet, I'll give it more time and see if it makes it out on its own.

Going to get some chores done, it's a nice afternoon, perfect for washing all the waterers, moving the 3 chicks from last weekend out to the coop brooder, move 2 older chicks from there into the juvie pen, and enjoy my birds :)

---& to all the new hatchers, remember, from internal pip (when they are starting to breath & therefore peep in the air cell) they _can go a full 24hr on that air b/f they must external pip. So get your chips/popcorn/drinks ect & get ready for the long long long wait (although they can be really fast about it too so you never know til you know). HAVE FUN!

Tell me about fast. My first chick pipped about 3:10pm, by 3:30 we had a zip and a chick!

The two that are pipping right now started early this morning, around 4am and are STILL just eggs with holes in 'em.

Going crazy in lockdown. No sign of them coming out any time soon. Congratulations to everyone with new babies.

fl.gif
I hope you have one soon!
Tell me about fast. My first chick pipped about 3:10pm, by 3:30 we had a zip and a chick!

The two that are pipping right now started early this morning, around 4am and are STILL just eggs with holes in 'em.
Yes, the first of mine pipped about 8 this morning. It has slowly made some progress. A half hour ago the second one pipped and I bet it will hatch first...Silly chickens....

Back
Top Bottom