5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I have had problems with Delawares pipping the wrong end. They were the only ones to pip wrong last year. It had to do with a weak gene pool though.

They did hatch though. One of them crushed the egg shell and fell out on its own. The other one I had to help and it did not make it. I have never had one pip the small end and not see it though.

I had a terrible experience with two delaware hatches. None survived. They seemed too large for their shell and had lots of swelling in the neck and other very obvious deformities. It was sad. Was worried it was me or the incubator but I went on to hatch other breeds out just fine. Thinking it was genetic. Never purchased from that breeder again. Like to try dellies again in the future.

I have always incubated/hatched using either egg cartons or egg trays. I have only ever had 1 chick pip on the wrong end of the shell out of hundreds of eggs hatched.

I always use egg carton for hatching and have had upside down chicks. I read that it is normal to have a percentage of chicks not position themselves correctly for hatching.

Thanks for answering guys. Think I'll test out a hatch in cartons sometime and see how it goes.

We have a second Early Bird
big_smile.png
It looks just like the first one

Here's a video for anybody who *really* needs to see a hatch tonight. If nothing else, it's a beautiful way to waste nine minutes and eleven seconds! (This was my second one, taken this afternoon)

Are they late? If so, you can put a pip in the big end to see if that make it hatch.

They're not technically late. Tomorrow would be day 21. Since they're bantams, I was kind of expecting a little bit of an early hatch. But this chick hatched out early and there's no signs of hatching in the other two. Think I'll wait a little longer though.

Congratulations to every on their peeps, pips, and fuzzbutts.
wee.gif

I have 31 in lockdown. I have yet to hear a peep but don't expect one until tomorrow. My partner is sick and in bed and I am sitting here watching Ron's eggs. I thought a month ago I would be watching my lil one's hatch
sad.png
tonight. I ran my temps too low and didn't find out in time to change it.
fl.gif
I will hear peeps tomorrow. My thermometer dropped of the top so I done a quick candle on top of them and the air sacs have dipped in all but a couple. YAY!

Good luck to everyone's hatches tonight and tomorrow. More pictures of little fuzzbutts to look at would be great!
big_smile.png

Those chicks are very tardy!
acute.gif

I had a terrible experience with two delaware hatches. None survived. They seemed too large for their shell and had lots of swelling in the neck and other very obvious deformities. It was sad. Was worried it was me or the incubator but I went on to hatch other breeds out just fine. Thinking it was genetic. Never purchased from that breeder again. Like to try dellies again in the future.

Thanks for answering guys. Think I'll test out a hatch in cartons sometime and see how it goes.
If you can find them, The New Dels From @kathyinmo are amazing!

Quote:
Okay, I did. I gave her a feather duster and she snuggled in with it under the ecobrooder and seems less distressed. She's twittering instead of frantically cheeping, if that makes any sense. She made some green poo in the incubator that I assume is the first poo all baby things do. I really want her to have siblings, but I just don't see any indication the other eggs are going to do anything.

Okay, I did. I gave her a feather duster and she snuggled in with it under the ecobrooder and seems less distressed. She's twittering instead of frantically cheeping, if that makes any sense. She made some green poo in the incubator that I assume is the first poo all baby things do. I really want her to have siblings, but I just don't see any indication the other eggs are going to do anything.

Sounds like it was the right time to move her :) Good job, Whoops!
highfive.gif

So I'm now 12hrs since hearing the first peep.
I heard peeps at 10:30am, 3pm (when I decided to add a hotwetsponge b/c the house heater has been running all day & it wasn't foggy drizzling outside like it has been)
&6pm (as if to announce the official start of DAY 21 )

BUT nothing else, no movement, no peeping, no pips :( hum, starting to get a little concerned , those shipped eggs sure did have wonky air cells...

Also, re: wrong egg pips
- I had many of those when I was running too low temp & too high humidity (also lost most eggs in the last few days, many never turned to pip)
I'm not sure the numbers but something like 5-6 wrong end pips, all discovered already dead (most on side, at least one was in carton after I switched to using them)
I remember I did find one alive in one hatch that ran very late, another situation of doing clean up and finding a live one, it was more like pipped in the middle but on the underside, I flipped the pip to up & as I recall it then eventually hatched on its own. But otherwise they always dead & I found out later. (Can't really see much in the LG while hatching esp. if it is loaded.)

So way to go on those who have caught them in time to help although I do bet a high % of them have some serious issue which caused the problem in the first place so if they don't make it I would say not to be too down about it b/c they likely were not correctly formed internally, etc. If they do make it fantastic :)

Had one more hatch so now total of 3 early birds, 2 Barnyard Mix LF and the Silkie, still have 4 pips including the one at the pointy end that is resting still, maybe overnight it will get it together and hatch, hoping I awaken to more chicks :) I won't make it until Midnight local or probably even EST LOL. Best wishes and Happy New Year to all, can't wait to check back in the first morning of the New Year 2014 and see how everyone has fared overnight!

So I'm now 12hrs since hearing the first peep.
I heard peeps at 10:30am, 3pm (when I decided to add a hotwetsponge b/c the house heater has been running all day & it wasn't foggy drizzling outside like it has been)
&6pm (as if to announce the official start of DAY 21 )

BUT nothing else, no movement, no peeping, no pips :( hum, starting to get a little concerned , those shipped eggs sure did have wonky air cells...

Also, re: wrong egg pips
- I had many of those when I was running too low temp & too high humidity (also lost most eggs in the last few days, many never turned to pip)
I'm not sure the numbers but something like 5-6 wrong end pips, all discovered already dead (most on side, at least one was in carton after I switched to using them)
I remember I did find one alive in one hatch that ran very late, another situation of doing clean up and finding a live one, it was more like pipped in the middle but on the underside, I flipped the pip to up & as I recall it then eventually hatched on its own. But otherwise they always dead & I found out later. (Can't really see much in the LG while hatching esp. if it is loaded.)

So way to go on those who have caught them in time to help although I do bet a high % of them have some serious issue which caused the problem in the first place so if they don't make it I would say not to be too down about it b/c they likely were not correctly formed internally, etc. If they do make it fantastic :)

I hope yours start soon! One of mine is making a bunch of noise but not getting out yet!

Back
Top Bottom