5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I have one zipping.
celebrate.gif

I screwed up :( I had one pip at the wrong end so I didnt see it and when I moved.my chicks to the brooder i let too much humidity out then noticed when I went to candle that I had a pip. I pumped a bunch of hot water in cuz itgot the.humidity up faster than finding a spritzer. so now im back up to the humidity i had before and the chick is alive. when do i intervene?

Nothing yet .... and Mama won't let me see a thing!!! I set up a chicken cam so I can watch her - but she is bolted to the nest!
barnie.gif

This is like some medieval form of torture!!!

fl.gif
Please let them start hatching already!!!

RON! YOUR CHICKS ARE SO PRECIOUS!

beautiful color! I WANT some! could you post a picture?

I have been watching your web cam! I love your chicks so much you have no idea!
I will get them out soon and post a picture. They are very pretty!

Lost my first one
sad.png

I made a cabinet incubator out of a kitchen cabinet, he climbed right over the side of the hatching drawer and of course he fell into the water reservoir. Note to self: "Extend sides of hatching drawers!"

On a happier note I have 9 more pips, but nobody wants to come out and play.
Oh no! I am so sorry you lost your first one that way.
hugs.gif
Glad for the new pips though.

My zipper is out now! So that makes 3 RIRxEE and 3 LO hatched. Another one is almost out too, and I didn't even know it was zipping cause it started on the side facing away from the window. Didn't realize it was coming out until the other one flopped on it and the top of the egg heaved.
gig.gif

Uh oh! Gonna have to remember to keep the door to that room closed!

Careful. Bad kitty paws can reach through those bars. I had a kitty in my brooder this morning.
th.gif
She broke the top. George is fine.
bow.gif
Definitely another point in favor of the eco brooder things. George just snuggled under there and the cat couldn't get her.

Careful. Bad kitty paws can reach through those bars. I had a kitty in my brooder this morning.
th.gif
She broke the top. George is fine.
bow.gif
Definitely another point in favor of the eco brooder things. George just snuggled under there and the cat couldn't get her.
after my first hatched I was in the bathroom....I heard MAJOR peeping....I found my 18 pound cat on top of my incubator. I walked over so
somad.gif
mad I carried him out by his scruff out of my room and slammed the door.

BAD SIMBA! BAD CAT!

I screwed up
sad.png
I had one pip at the wrong end so I didnt see it and when I moved.my chicks to the brooder i let too much humidity out then noticed when I went to candle that I had a pip. I pumped a bunch of hot water in cuz itgot the.humidity up faster than finding a spritzer. so now im back up to the humidity i had before and the chick is alive. when do i intervene?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
If the membrane looks okay. (not dry) wait 18 hours. It is nerve racking but I am glad I waited, it was 20 hours for me. It showed me that he was strong enough to make it! I assisted with a chick to soon the last time and a week later had to cull a 7 day old chick. =( NOT FUN.

Back
Top Bottom