5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I FINALLY GOT PICTURES!

I want to give a big shout out to all my friends with pips and zips.....and fluffbutts!
wee.gif
also, my friends who sill have no pips, hang in there! I still have one egg to hatch with NO pip!
hugs.gif

Here are 10 of my 11 chicks....the bigger yellow ones are the OE mixes, and the tiny ones are the Japs. greyish ones are silkies, and the little black gal there in the middle is the jap silkie mix, milkshake.

Partridge Silkie chick?

Same Partridge Silkie chick?
Does look like a Partridge, and OMG that first photo of it is PRICELESS!

I FINALLY GOT PICTURES!

I want to give a big shout out to all my friends with pips and zips.....and fluffbutts!
wee.gif
also, my friends who sill have no pips, hang in there! I still have one egg to hatch with NO pip!
hugs.gif

Here are 10 of my 11 chicks....the bigger yellow ones are the OE mixes, and the tiny ones are the Japs. greyish ones are silkies, and the little black gal there in the middle is the jap silkie mix, milkshake.

Partridge Silkie chick?

Milkshake, our Japanese Bantam Silkie mix

Button, Japanese Bantam

The poor crooked beaked chick...

Very nice pictures!

@GoldenChicks16 @ronott1 Here's a picture of one of our suspected CX / Faverolles chicks

Let us know how the chick does! It may grow fast?

I FINALLY GOT PICTURES! I want to give a big shout out to all my friends with pips and zips.....and fluffbutts! :weee also, my friends who sill have no pips, hang in there! I still have one egg to hatch with NO pip!:hugs Here are 10 of my 11 chicks....the bigger yellow ones are the OE mixes, and the tiny ones are the Japs. greyish ones are silkies, and the little black gal there in the middle is the jap silkie mix, milkshake. They are just the cutest! Good job Bantambury Partridge Silkie chick? Same Partridge Silkie chick? Milkshake, our Japanese Bantam Silkie mix Button, Japanese Bantam The poor crooked beaked chick...

Thanks for the likes one my pics of chickies... they are project amerucana's (the lighter one is a lav the darker two are working on a blue laced gold (that popped up out some blue AM's from a breeder I know.)

Last edited:
We are just over 5400 feet, and very arid. From the reading I've done so far, because air pressure is lower (makes water not yet 212 degrees, boil, for example) oxygen percentage of ambient air lower, and humidity much lower, there are particular challenges to hatching here, especially shipped eggs. One article said to keep plugs in, another said to keep them out and to try and raise oxygen in the air in the room housing incubator/hatcher. So far I have not invested in an O2 machine, not really on my shopping list just yet. Leaving plugs in didn't work out so well, so this time I left the plugs out and added a humidifier to the room (someone here suggested it), and it seems to have helped. I also discovered 3 weeks ago that temps in my incubators were off, bought new thermometers, got temps back where they needed to be. I have read a couple studies saying eggs can hatch earlier here because of the decreased air pressure, but I also read that bantams will often hatch early anyway, so having Silkies hatch early can be attributed to either or both. The LF mixes were actually laid at a friend's house that's 2000 feet higher than mine, which theoretically should have made them more likely to hatch on time, but even those hatched early. I might still have a bit of tweaking to do with temps in the incubators, or it might just be the lower air pressure.
I added an aquarium pump to get more oxygen in there. Not sure how it would work at your elevation. I did read a study and I thought it said above 5 thousand was tough.
IQuote:
Hello, I was more of a Christmas hatch rather than new year - was just joining in for the fun of it. Mine hatched 23/24th.
That's awesome. Aren't broodies the best?

I FINALLY GOT PICTURES!

wee.gif
hugs.gif

Partridge Silkie chick?

Milkshake, our Japanese Bantam Silkie mix

Button, Japanese Bantam

The poor crooked beaked chick...
I want to give a big shout out for Bantambury. Not only a real cool chick but also a fabulous photographer.

hugs.gif
Bummer - fingers crossed they suddenly start pipping and popping out!

There is hope. I just moved the last of the eggs to the hatcher. I heard a couple peeps.

It was incomprehensible that so many eggs would develop and none hatch.

@GoldenChicks16 @ronott1 Here's a picture of one of our suspected CX / Faverolles chicks

Looks good. Are you near Springfield?
So if the feather sexing is correct, if you cross a Jersey Giant roo with a gold comet (red sexlink, whatever) you get auto sexing babies!
It's complicated and this is an oversimplification but the father color will transfer to the daughter and vice versa. Red to silver or something like that.
There is a good thread here on sexlink breeding and I'll post it if I can find it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom