5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I have a BABY!!!!
At 8:00 p.m. on the nose, two eggs started zipping. Couldn't tear myself away to update ya'll! At 8:36 p.m., my first fluffy butt made it out! I HAVE A NEW YEAR'S BABY!!
wee.gif

I am seriously freaking out about my humidity...it spiked to 81%, so I opened the bator for a few seconds, it dropped down to 77, and then back up to 79. All plugs are out, what should I do??? I have three others that are pipped, one partially zipped...help!!

Here's pics of the baby (Barred Rock over either Barred Rock or Commercial Black (Hatchery BR cross):

yesss.gif

I just had to share this with you all. I had 3 Dorking eggs that never pipped, so when everyone else had hatched I candled. 2 had already died, and 1 was alive. I opened one that was already gone, and saw that blood vessels were absorbed, and feet were right at the aircell no internal pip. I knew the one that was alive was in trouble. Filed a small hole on aircell end and same thing, no internal pip, feet right there. I was so upset because I knew death was imminent. I got on the assist article of Sally's and after reading and re-reading knew if I could find the head there was a chance. So, I eggtopsied the one that had died in the same position, and practiced pulling the head out. I went to the live egg and did the same. There was a little blood(from the membrane), but the head came right out, chick took a big breath, and is breathing steadily now. It will take all night for the yolk to absorb, but the shot the chick has now is better than what was going to happen. Now I PRAY!!
fl.gif
Update tomorrow!
Good job, chick will take a while to wake up, but probably will do just fine..crossing fingers for the little thing..but like I said..good job!

The last of my mixed Faverolles eggs just hatched !! none of them had 5 toes but I did notice this one has feathered feet for sure.
wee.gif
still have 12 other misc. eggs to hatch out, most have pipped. There are 19 little fuzzbuts in the hatcher right now.
yippiechickie.gif

I have a BABY!!!!
At 8:00 p.m. on the nose, two eggs started zipping. Couldn't tear myself away to update ya'll! At 8:36 p.m., my first fluffy butt made it out! I HAVE A NEW YEAR'S BABY!!
wee.gif

I am seriously freaking out about my humidity...it spiked to 81%, so I opened the bator for a few seconds, it dropped down to 77, and then back up to 79. All plugs are out, what should I do??? I have three others that are pipped, one partially zipped...help!!

Here's pics of the baby (Barred Rock over either Barred Rock or Commercial Black (Hatchery BR cross):

Perfect! I've been watching your posts..so happy you have one. Now, come on other chickies.

3/4 of an inch high. the outer frame is nailed together. The inner pieces are wedged in, so they can be adjusted for different size eggs.

Thank you, had my hubby looking, he was guessing 3/4 inch. 1 inch tall? He says he has some wood out in the shop for it. :) :)

<sigh> I just lost the last one.
sad.png
I don't know if I didn't help it soon enough or if it was just always going to die no matter what I did. It was fully formed, yolk completely absorbed. I've been reading all I can find on causes of mortality in the shell on the last day. It would seem that some sort of nutritional deficiency is the most likely culprit. I did notice that the shells on these eggs were really super thin and brittle. So maybe that was a clue.

Back
Top Bottom