5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Quote:
In my reading, it is better to breed back to the parent than to breed to a sibling. because they share only a half set of genes with the parent where they share a whole set with the sibling.

Is it to late to join the hatch a long???
pop.gif
What are you hatcing?

When should I help an egg?

I have two that have not pipped yet. 5 are already hatched...the last to hatch was this morning.

I am pretty sure one is already gone...hadn't seen movement since the day before lockdown. The other egg, however, was moving yesterday, but have not seen movement today. Since I had no pips, I went ahead and candled that egg. I see an internal pip and can see it breathing.

I am worried because I've seen that some of ya'll had eggs that internally pipped but died before external pip. I do not want this to happen to this baby. Do they run out of oxygen in the air cell? If so, is it ok for me to pop a little hole in the very top so oxygen can get to it?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

It is ok for the first breeding but not for later. With a breeding plan, you can close a flock for 20 years.
Can you elaborate, Ron? Do you have a link to this? What does it mean to "close a flock for 20 years"?

I ask because I've been worried about my two new Chocolate Orpington bantams...one male, one female, from the same breeder. When I called to ask her if they were siblings, she said she wasn't sure, they came from two different incubator hatches. That got me thinking, that if they are siblings, I'll have to get one or two MORE COB's before I can hatch eggs!

When should I help an egg?

I have two that have not pipped yet. 5 are already hatched...the last to hatch was this morning.

I am pretty sure one is already gone...hadn't seen movement since the day before lockdown. The other egg, however, was moving yesterday, but have not seen movement today. Since I had no pips, I went ahead and candled that egg. I see an internal pip and can see it breathing.

I am worried because I've seen that some of ya'll had eggs that internally pipped but died before external pip. I do not want this to happen to this baby. Do they run out of oxygen in the air cell? If so, is it ok for me to pop a little hole in the very top so oxygen can get to it?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.
Usually you can start checking into helping 24 hours after the last one hatched. The first thing to try is to put a pip into the big end of the egg. See if that gets the chick going since it gives them more air it often does.

The guide to assisted hatching has much more help. There is a link to it in my Signature line.

Last edited:
Usually you can start checking into helping 24 hours after the last one hatched. The first thing to try is to put a pip into the big end of the egg. See if that gets the chick going since is gives them more air it often does.

The guide to assisted hatching has much more help. There is a link to it in my Signature line.
Ok, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom