5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Ok, they are all cute, but I LOVE that adorable chick in picture # 4 best!
lol.png
And I just might have to get some eggs from your MFLs!! So pretty! Wouldn't they make beautiful birds if bred to the blue wheaten Ameraucanas for EEs?
I think they would be beautiful EE's!

And here the pictures come! If you can help me figure out breeds, that would be awesome! Also how to sex any of these breeds, if possible at this age. Breeds to choose from and how many of each there are in parentheses.
Marans (6)
SFHx Red Sex Link (8)
Silkie (possibly crosses-4)
SFH (1)
Silkie x Cochin (3)
Unspecified blue egg layers (7)

Normally, black skin, feathered legs are Silkies.

If they have any yellow/orange to the black skin, they are a cross with a Silkie.

Last edited:
Woo hoo! My last baby hatched while I was at the grocery store! It was one of the ones that was malpositioned that I had to help a bit. Both of them are running amok in the incubator. So, that puts me at a total of 19 hatched. Originally set 35. 24 went into lock down.

The RSL x SFH babies are adorable! Those are the little blondes and strawberry blondes with ****yellow*** legs. One of them is also the PB SFH....I would suspect one of the blonde ones, as I have a sibling here (smallish brown egg) and it is a blonde chick. The color will change dramatically over the next few days, which may clue you in.

The SFH mixes IMHO are problematic, as apparently the SFH coloration is dominant. So it will be difficult to ever pick out your PB SFHs, and selling any birds from that flock will also be problematic, as you don't want to pass them off as pure, but they should be excellent layers...my RSL mamas are the best layers I have!

Looks like my Australorope rooster is getting in there with those Marans...I had wondered....he is a GREAT rooster and his offspring will be delightful.

I'm not sure you got any SilkiexCochin crosses....they look like Silkies..how many toes do they have? Wonder if Pecky is doing his job...

Feather sexing the large chicks might work, can't tell from photos but IME does not work with Silkies or any chicks over 3 days of age.

I think of feather sexing like this: girls are Lililili, boys are llllll, but I have been fooled by some SFH....

And here the pictures come! If you can help me figure out breeds, that would be awesome! Also how to sex any of these breeds, if possible at this age. Breeds to choose from and how many of each there are in parentheses.
Marans (6)
SFHx Red Sex Link (8)
Silkie (possibly crosses-4)
SFH (1)
Silkie x Cochin (3)
Unspecified blue egg layers (7)

And here's one of them all for the record.
The chicks are all cute!

Pick several of the cutest and post them into the now open cutest chick hatched thread for the contest!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846149/fifth-annual-byc-nyd-hatch-a-long-cutest-chick-contest

Back
Top Bottom