5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

That does! I'll have to look more closely at them tomorrow. I know that the showgirl is all black skin, beak, and big eyes. Is a showgirl a Silkie just with a specific feathering "pattern?"

I was told breeding a showgirl with showgirl, over time the offspring's offspring will have reduced feather (bald spots). I have not confirmed. Can anyone else?

X2.

This is why I kind of think my bantam Cochin roo isn't doing his job....those look like PB Silkies from the photo, but hard to tell. My Silkes do carry vaulting in their lines, so that is where that comes from. I'm not thrilled with the amount of color leakage and comb configuration in my Silkies, but they are nice. I have seen worse at the county fairs. The Cochins are SQ, so I was hoping she got their eggs. Boo.
MY silkies to be PB? if so...
celebrate.gif

That does! I'll have to look more closely at them tomorrow. I know that the showgirl is all black skin, beak, and big eyes. Is a showgirl a Silkie just with a specific feathering "pattern?"
OK.

SILKIE showgirl.
this is created through a naked neck turkin, and a silkie. You must breed the two until you get 8 different traits:
-black skin
-crest
-fluffiness
-5 toes
-naked neck
-bow tie
-no beard
-feathered feet

that is what makes a showgirl. I would LOVE to have a showgirl! I absolutely love them!

Their feather patterns also change as birds mature, so it is difficult to judge the quality of an individual bird until they are fully grown.

hope this helps!

~Bantambury

Last edited:
Yep...do not count the gray/olive legged ones....those are your EE/blue egg layers. SFH only have yellow legs. RSL have yellow legs.

I don't know about the color being an indicator....so I'd band those ones and see. Now we need to figure out which one is your PB SFH...

Could it be this one? It's the only other one with yellow legs and feet.

Silkie are not the only chicken to have black skin, bones and meat. The Ayam Cemani is a Fully black chicken head to toe inside and out. I love these birds and would love to own one.

The Indonesian chicken breed known as Ayam Cemani takes ‘dark’ into an entirely different realm. Their feathers are black. Their skin is black. Cut open an Ayam Cemani and you’ll find black muscle anchored to black bones. Even their organs are black

big_smile.png

HUH! you learn something new everyday!
haah thanks!
celebrate.gif

OH MY GOD! just googled it! I think I peed my pants! well....they are sort of cute....
old.gif

Last edited:
Your rooster is very handsome. How are the legs on yours, medium/long?

Mine have long legs, Id like to one day introduce short legs to them.

im not trying to butt in....but my jap has short legs.

I think if you tried introducing a short legged it would be very successful for you....you will have some short legs and long legged.
you could then breed your short legged chicks with the hen and start up your short legged birds.

I am dying to see our Japanese! can you post a pic?!?!?

Here is mine:

I hatched 3 Japanese on this hatch....I think. @AK FLOCK SWAP if you could identify my chicks as japs that would be great! I have one that is more yellow around the neck....is it a different jap or a totally different breed?

Blue= Button (possibly different breed? different color)
Red= Wiggles
Blank= Tokyo

MY silkies to be PB? if so...:celebrate

I gave SoManyHats 4 bantam eggs. In that coop, I have a Silkie hen and a Cochin hen. I also have a Silkie rooster and Cochin rooster. I was hoping it was a CochinxCochin egg, but they looked like Silkie eggs. Then I was hoping the daddy was at least the Cochin, but I think it is the Silkie rooster. So I think her eggs from me ended up being PB Silkies.

8 little babies hatched yesterday. One started popping this morning. However when I came home from work the humidity was 27. I got the humidity back up and plastered my ear to the incubator. As I was talking to the egg it started chirping. I am so excited it is still alive. Should I do anything? I am hoping it is not shrink wrapped, or whatever it is called

Back
Top Bottom