5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

what's everyone's experience with shipped eggs? should I even try hatching shipped eggs again? it's been terribly disappointing for me ... 24 eggs not a one only 3 made it to lockdown and those quit sometime after lockdown.... what do you suggest on shipped vs local eggs?

I gave SoManyHats 4 bantam eggs. In that coop, I have a Silkie hen and a Cochin hen. I also have a Silkie rooster and Cochin rooster. I was hoping it was a CochinxCochin egg, but they looked like Silkie eggs. Then I was hoping the daddy was at least the Cochin, but I think it is the Silkie rooster. So I think her eggs from me ended up being PB Silkies.

oooohhhh! ok! hahahah PB pure bred?

what's everyone's experience with shipped eggs? should I even try hatching shipped eggs again? it's been terribly disappointing for me ... 24 eggs not a one only 3 made it to lockdown and those quit sometime after lockdown.... what do you suggest on shipped vs local eggs?

I don't even bother with shipped eggs any longer. I have wasted so much money on shipped eggs....for 10 dozen SFH at $50 a pop....yeah.... Other breeds have done better for me, but even then, I'm not a fan of spending $35 for maybe 2 chicks when I can order a dozen chicks for $100 or so and have them all do well.

I had local eggs.....50% hatch rate for me.....but then again...9 of the eggs were refrigerated from him...about a week?
hide.gif

What is the closing date for this? Some are still hatching theirs from yesterday.

The cutest chick contest is for the chicks hatched for the hatch a long. Hatch participants can post pictures so the ones hatched before the first and those hatched 5 days later should work. I am flexible but trust me, this thread will die soon and we should wrap it all up before then.

It depends on what the breed was. Some will work for hatching better than others. SFH are hard, Penedesencas and Marans too. Silkies sometimes are hard to hatch.

I bet the OEs that I hatched would do well for you. It would be fun to do a test hatch of them shipped too.

im not trying to butt in....but my jap has short legs.

I think if you tried introducing a short legged it would be very successful for you....you will have some short legs and long legged.
you could then breed your short legged chicks with the hen and start up your short legged birds.

I am dying to see our Japanese! can you post a pic?!?!?

Here is mine:

I hatched 3 Japanese on this hatch....I think. @AK FLOCK SWAP if you could identify my chicks as japs that would be great! I have one that is more yellow around the neck....is it a different jap or a totally different breed?

Blue= Button (possibly different breed? different color)
Red= Wiggles
Blank= Tokyo
I am not an expert but just look @ body type as to color,right now.. Short legs? Tall tail? They appear to me to be,,Your hen or what?

t
It depends on what the breed was. Some will work for hatching better than others. SFH are hard, Penedesencas and Marans too. Silkies sometimes are hard to hatch.

I bet the OEs that I hatched would do well for you. It would be fun to do a test hatch of them shipped too.
hanks Ron they were bantam Cochins... looking at eggs already

MY silkies to be PB? if so...
celebrate.gif

OK.

SILKIE showgirl.
this is created through a naked neck turkin, and a silkie. You must breed the two until you get 8 different traits:
-black skin
-crest
-fluffiness
-5 toes
-naked neck
-bow tie
-no beard
-feathered feet

that is what makes a showgirl. I would LOVE to have a showgirl! I absolutely love them!

Their feather patterns also change as birds mature, so it is difficult to judge the quality of an individual bird until they are fully grown.

hope this helps!

~Bantambury

This is my Showgirl. She is the one the goes broody all the time. Breed her with a Black partridge Silkie and white Showgirl roo. She drops pretty babies.

Mix of white, grey, black and partridge.

Last hatch (sold these):

Grey showgirl

Partridge silkie

White showgirl

This hatch:

Black silkie

No Clue silkie

So far only Silkies from her this time round.

Back
Top Bottom