5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Ok @ronott1

Out of the 24 eggs set, we had a 50% hatch rate, 12 hatching. I found if we never put in the 11 fridge eggs we were iffy on, we would've gotten a much higher rate.....none hatched. For my first hatch, I think I did pretty darn good! LOL
lol.png

We set:
16 Silkie eggs (3 were japs by accident)
1 Silkie Japanese Bantam cross
7 OE mix eggs

What went to lockdown:
5 Silkies (3 were japs)
5 OE mix eggs

What hatched:
3 Japanese Bantams
2 Silkies
5 OE mixes

Well, here are my pictures!

5 OE mixes: only one named... Woodstock.
We were all excited to see how they would come out! 2 have black dots on their heads, and one has a black patch on her back. They al have silkie like combs except for one, which has a single comb. Short legs. their wing feathers are very beautiful now! take a look!

3 Japanese bantams, Button, Tokyo, and Wiggles.

3 silkies, none named. 1 silkie mix (black) Milkshake

Here are all of them together!

12 total! pretty good!

My brother was also inspecting Milkshake.....he claimed he was choosing his favorite to make Shure it was good! (he chose her LOL)
gig.gif

The cutest chick contest is for the chicks hatched for the hatch a long. Hatch participants can post pictures so the ones hatched before the first and those hatched 5 days later should work. I am flexible but trust me, this thread will die soon and we should wrap it all up before then.

Can you post the link again?

My Final Count:

62 eggs set on 12-11-2013 @ 12 noon Central Time.
Hatch:
15 Naked Necks
8 Naked Neck Crosses w/o NN
24 Easter Eggers
1 Light Brahma
2 Blue Copper Marans
50 Total
So I had 50 out of 62 eggs hatch. Approximately 61% hatch rate. That's about usual for me. Have had up to 82%.
You had a very nice hatch!

The myth of cats stealing your breath has root in a factual behavior. As a kid I have woken to my cat sitting on my chest nose to nose with me breathing deeply and purring. I have had it happen with a different cat once after becoming an adult. This is interesting because I have apnea. As a kid I often would wake up in the middle of the night with the feeling that something was profoundly wrong only to suddenly gasp and realize that I had ceased breathing. The last attack I had that strong was in my early 20's but I am sure that I don't breath regularly. After reading how cats often come and purr near an injury of their person's and that it has been proven that the purring promotes healing, I have wondered if the cat's nose to nose behavior was because of my erratic breathing pattern and they were attempting to help. Given that it is a theory that Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is caused by extreme apnea then cat's trying to help babies breath but unsuccessful would be blamed for causing the baby's death by "stealing it's breath".

This is great information! I have heard of wound smelling cants and cats that can detect tumors too.
I had 14 out of 18 I set hatch, 3 were infertile or just quitters but never made it to the hatcher. 1 that didn't hatch was not developed all the way, must have not seen it when I moved them to the hatcher. now of the 14, one is blind, I never had a blind one before. it is not eating but will drink if you guide him to the waterier, but will miss the water when it tries to drink on it's own. I will have to cull this one before it dies from starvation. It's so sad to watch it suffer.
Just over 77%, Highest rate reported so far!

I am not an expert but just look @ body type as to color,right now.. Short legs? Tall tail? They appear to me to be,,Your hen or what?
shot legs.....tall tail? nope not my hen. breeder's hen. (sitting down...does no good for what we are looking for... ill find a different pic tomorrow. remind me in PM?)

This is my Showgirl. She is the one the goes broody all the time. Breed her with a Black partridge Silkie and white Showgirl roo. She drops pretty babies.

Mix of white, grey, black and partridge.

Last hatch (sold these):

Grey showgirl

Partridge silkie

White showgirl

This hatch:

Black silkie

No Clue silkie

So far only Silkies from her this time round.
VERY nice! I like the unknown last one!
wink.png

Yep. Sorry...carryover from my days as an Arabian horse breeder. We indicated purebred or not as PB or HA (half Arabian), and it is useful with purebred birds too.
no problem! use info to learn with different things! haha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom