5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

For me it's worked pretty well, but has fooled me completely on a couple batches. BLRWyandottes & Serama's it didn't work for me at all. Other than them it has been almost dead on. My best one was being told it didn't work for Lavender Orps. I got 13 as day olds...tried it, results : 4 boys 9 girls. I thought, man I KNOW it didn't work this time. Grew them out...4 boys 9 girls, I couldn't believe it! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it does not work on Silkies at all..I have spoken with breeders that swear they don't even know the sex of their chicks for months.

I use the cockerels for freezer camp so it does not really matter to me. I have had all pullets before but never all cockerels yet.

I try really hard not to hatch Silkies though.

Last edited:
Blue Spitzhauben over Bresse. So dang cute!

love.gif

A lot of them are vent sexed.

I tried to find a video of the Dirty Jobs episode from Dirty Jobs but it was blocked. If you find it is worth watching.

I've seen it... it was disgusting
sickbyc.gif
. (being a cattle farmer means I'm exposed to a lot of animal body fluids and waste - it doesn't mean I have to like it!) It is my understanding that where possible, they feather sex because the folks who are really *good* at vent sexing are also very rare... actually, that was one point made on the aforementioned 'Dirty Jobs', as I recall. I know that when we went through 250 of these on the original order, the difference was quite marked, and there were no wrong calls (even by the gentleman who took most of the roos in the order, and he'd never heard of it before that day) Will that trait hold - dunno. By the time I get enough hatched, I should have a pretty good idea, though!

so i opened 2 they were dead 1around lockdown and i before that also i candled 1 that was moving around but it was dark and runny in air cell so i pipped it and chick had clawed a vein and full yolk sac it died
hit.gif
i have my twins and 1 other that are fridge eggs that have a few more days started out slow but dont think twins made it so im just calling it 1 outta 6 if im lucky i will have 2 but not counting my chicks before they hatch lol But this has been an awesome exp.and i learned a whole lot .........and a big TY to every1 and ron for all the help and support
hugs.gif

Last edited:
For me it's worked pretty well, but has fooled me completely on a couple batches. BLRWyandottes & Serama's it didn't work for me at all. Other than them it has been almost dead on. My best one was being told it didn't work for Lavender Orps. I got 13 as day olds...tried it, results : 4 boys 9 girls. I thought, man I KNOW it didn't work this time. Grew them out...4 boys 9 girls, I couldn't believe it! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it does not work on Silkies at all..I have spoken with breeders that swear they don't even know the sex of their chicks for months.

I can't get away with 'fancy' chicken, LOL - it's been very reliable on standard breeds, which these actually aren't... but I did sex the original order of 250 (with a newly -trained helper) and we had no surprises two months down the line. The parent stock was very easy to feather sex, didn't even have to pick them up to see!

I set 21 eggs. Only 8 made it to lockdown and 5 hatched. I gave one Jubilee Orpington, one SFH, two Leghorn/ Partridge Barthuhner crosses and one EE/ PB cross. I will get some pics tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom