5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Just catching up, I've had my grandson here.

I think a silkie would be great for Hawk(e?)! A weeks difference in age isn't much.

I'm sorry some folks had little to no chicks hatch, that is so hard. I hope no one gives up though.

Big thanks to Ron for being so supportive and helpful all along, it's a ton of work, but fun as well ( I hope). Big thanks to all the participants who who always are so good good at cheering and commiserating and making us laugh!

I set 38 and hatched 28; OMG what will I do with all the Roos! Most were my mutts and some were from BYC member Chiqita, who is local to me. Here is a pic of those in the brooder, but 3 more are with a broody.

I agree...the age difference is minimal with Silkies....heck, I hatched out a bunch of chicks last winter and had a Silkie pullet and cockerel in the brooder, about 5 months old at the time. I gave them the chicks to raise, and they did an amazing job. Never picked or bullied the babies, but actually chuckled to them, calling them to the feed, keeping them warm, etc. That pullet, now a hen, is one I will never get rid of. I thought about giving her the babies hatched the other day, but gosh, it's really cold out there right now.

Thanks everyone! I about choked on my drink when she said she wants $10 a piece for her chicks.... but I am desperate and that price keeps me from buying 5 or 6. LOL
What is a sizzle??

who is your breeder? could you PM me her website? I would love to see her birds if they are show quality! I may ordr from her!

Zc
Quote: Mine are just barn cats. It's their job to keep the critters out of my feed & coops. 3 of them are still kittens though, so they often get spoiled & get to come in where it's warm at night.

[/quote name="bantambury" url="/t/835798/5th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2014-hatch-a-long/7530#post_12577509"]
X2.

This is why I kind of think my bantam Cochin roo isn't doing his job....those look like PB Silkies from the photo, but hard to tell. My Silkes do carry vaulting in their lines, so that is where that comes from. I'm not thrilled with the amount of color leakage and comb configuration in my Silkies, but they are nice. I have seen worse at the county fairs. The Cochins are SQ, so I was hoping she got their eggs. Boo.
MY silkies to be PB? if so...
celebrate.gif
That does! I'll have to look more closely at them tomorrow. I know that the showgirl is all black skin, beak, and big eyes. Is a showgirl a Silkie just with a specific feathering "pattern?"
OK.

SILKIE showgirl.
this is created through a naked neck turkin, and a silkie. You must breed the two until you get 8 different traits:
-black skin
-crest
-fluffiness
-5 toes
-naked neck
-bow tie
-no beard
-feathered feet

that is what makes a showgirl. I would LOVE to have a showgirl! I absolutely love them!

Their feather patterns also change as birds mature, so it is difficult to judge the quality of an individual bird until they are fully grown.

hope this helps!

~Bantambury

Showgirls can actually be with or without the bowtie. The genetics work as follows:
Naked neck is dominant so will show even with only 1 gene for it.

2 Genes for naked neck gets you a completely naked neck with no bowtie. Everything bred to this bird will be either nn or bowtie.
1 nn gene plus 1 gene for feathered neck makes bowties.
No nn gene makes geathered neck.

When you breed 2 birds with bowties you get all 3 gene combination possibilities. If you want to ensure all bowties breed fully feathered to complete nn to ensure 1 copy of each gene every time. To produce only complete nn breed 2 complete nn. To get only complete nn & bowtie breed nn & bowtie.
Bowies are not accepted , the showgirl, however, was excepted by ABA at the Dixie Classic last month they will not be called showgirls. They will be known as Brd White Naked Neck Silkies and only the white is accepted. The NB White Naked Neck Silkies, Brd and NB Buff Naked Neck Silkies

I only have blue and black myself, but any are good.

At that price, get several! Broody Silkie mamas are the BEST! Unfortuantely, sexing young Silkies is very, very hard.

I agree...the age difference is minimal with Silkies....heck, I hatched out a bunch of chicks last winter and had a Silkie pullet and cockerel in the brooder, about 5 months old at the time. I gave them the chicks to raise, and they did an amazing job. Never picked or bullied the babies, but actually chuckled to them, calling them to the feed, keeping them warm, etc. That pullet, now a hen, is one I will never get rid of. I thought about giving her the babies hatched the other day, but gosh, it's really cold out there right now.

Sexing silkies IS hard! all of my chicks have their feathers growing.....ya know. my silkie chicks just have fuzzy flaps. LOL

Good price if from show quality birds. The sizzle and Hawke can go to shows together if the kids do 4-H! Hawke is off of my several-time best of breed roo to a nice pullet. :-D
do you sell chicks and hatching eggs? I may consider getting eggs for another hatch. right now we just need these babies to grow a bit and move them to their coop.

what breed is Hawke? is it one of your highest show quality birds you breed?

Baby Hawke LOVES her egg! :D As you can see her 'shoe' fell off today, but the longer it is off the more her foot curls up again. Should I fasion her a new one? Or since she is able to walk on it leave it?
I am having a hard time catching up on all the posts, great pics of your cutie! I would put the shoe on a little more, but thats just me.

Back
Top Bottom