5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Awww..you just painted the cutest picture of her for me. So sad she had to go. I hope her new owners care for her as much as you did!
The gal she went to had crossed beak gals before, and this lady was looking for blue, red laced Wyandot (and she was beautiful) so I felt comfortable letting her go live with her. She lives on a nice big farm now, instead of a city neighborhood. I'd say, she is movin on up!

Final total on eggs I counted for hatch (I forgot I had more silkies hatching this weekend!)

6 appenzellers set (shipped)
2 not fertile
4 made it to ld
1 looked to have died around day 12 (I missed this when I moved it to hatcher)
1 died after pip
1 died no pip
1 doing awesome - pics soon of this cutie

1 silkie set
I like to set an egg from our hens when I do eggs I have shipped because the silkie coop is always fertile and nearly always hatch
This little one is doing perfect keeping my little appen company :)

Mixed eggs I had under my broody hen did not hatch, this darn crazy weather 68 one day 26 the next poor hens.

Congrats to everyone who had little ones. And thank you all especially Ron for the hatch along. I learned a lot :)

Last edited:
OMG! I just read this whole thing tonight and I have never hatched one egg in an incubator. Dang, there is a lot to know. All y'all did great. It was getting pretty stressful there around page 740 or so!! LOL. This website is so great, but fear I have a real chicken addiction sometimes.

Yes, McMurray and Ideal are both shipping right now, if Cackle and Meyers aren't they probably will be shortly. McMurray is almost always the first to start.

I have ordered from Ideal twice now. Have Always had very healthy chicks arrive. Total of 38 so far...
1f631.png
1f389.png
. They do have wait lists sometimes though. Good idea to call them.

Just catching up, I've had my grandson here.

I think a silkie would be great for Hawk(e?)! A weeks difference in age isn't much.

I'm sorry some folks had little to no chicks hatch, that is so hard. I hope no one gives up though.

Big thanks to Ron for being so supportive and helpful all along, it's a ton of work, but fun as well ( I hope). Big thanks to all the participants who who always are so good good at cheering and commiserating and making us laugh!

I set 38 and hatched 28; OMG what will I do with all the Roos! Most were my mutts and some were from BYC member Chiqita, who is local to me. Here is a pic of those in the brooder, but 3 more are with a broody.
It was very fun!

X2...the hatch a long was a blast and ran so smoothly Ron!

We did not have many problems and I did not have to call in any Moderators...Everyone is so nice here!
I agree !! Great job! You did Awesome!

sign0092.gif

Since this was my first time hosting I was worried that things would go wrong but I am very happy with the way it all went. It was fun!
My hatch is complete. Here is my total

Set 38 eggs (32 silkies shipped, 6 (3bcm, 3oe from my flock)
pulled 13clears, 1bloodring, 3early quiters

21 eggs went into lockdown

10 hatched
-7 silkies (2partridge, 2splash, 2 white, 1blue)
-2 F2 OE
-1 BCM
partridge

partridge

splash

splash

blue

white

2 OE to the left 1BCM to the right

Group shot minus 1white silkie still in the bator, just hatched and still wet

That is a very good hatch for Silkies and Marans! You should be very happy with it. The chicks are
love.gif
Beautiful too!
Finally got pics...

Needs a name (Mille d'Uccle) likes to play in the water:

Sebastian (Silkie):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geordana (Mille d'Uccle):

Sonoma? (Mille d'Uccle):

Fulgora (Frizzle x Silkie) named after goddess of lighting cause her feathers are always standing up.
wee.gif
The pictures have been posted!

They are very cute.

OMG! I just read this whole thing tonight and I have never hatched one egg in an incubator. Dang, there is a lot to know. All y'all did great. It was getting pretty stressful there around page 740 or so!! LOL. This website is so great, but fear I have a real chicken addiction sometimes.

You read this whole thing and you aren't even hatching? I think you are addicted. :)

so many cute chicks here! Can't wait for mine!

yeah everyone is so very nice here and supportive! I didn't think i would ever hatch again because it is so emotionally trying.

Back
Top Bottom