5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I did not currently join this hatch-a-long because I was not intending on hatching eggs. My duck hen was hatching some. but in the morning of hatch day she had pips and for some reason stepped on the eggs and crushed them. I rescued 2 eggs and put them in the bator I candled them one they warmed back up. One was infertile and this little duckling hatched in the afternoon of New years day. I think that it is a little girl an Indian runner.

Well, I broke down and bought me some chicks. LOL Meyer is only in Ohio and had a pretty good price on a feather legged assortment.
smile.png
I am just so worried about introducing something that will kill Hawke.
sad.png

I also found out something that REALLY bothered me (when she gave me directions to come get the chick)..... the lady that offered me a sizzle chick was involved in a ASPCA animal case 2 years ago. Her farm was cleared out of over 200 goats and other animals that had been mistreated. She is a hoarder, when I found out that it was the same farm I just didn't want to take chances. *sigh* My luck just sucks lately. AM I just being to picky?

No such thing as being too picky when it comes to the health of your flock.

The chicks you get from Meyer will be younger so there shouldn't be any worries.

This is completely off topic but thought it make everyone smile this morning
smile.png

Meet Calista she is a last year frizzle Cochin silkie cross. This was right after her first molt.

Very nice looking!
Okay now that this hatch is over I'm ready to go again. Think I might try to get Turkey eggs for Easter hatch a long.

Ron, you have done awesome organizing this hatch a long! Are you going to be in charge of Easter too?
sign0092.gif

I will definitely hatching! I will do whatever BYC wants me to do for the Easter Hatch. @HappyChooks hosted last year and did a great job!

Easter hatch along,, No we be done by then,, I am not spend my short summer taking care of chicks,,instead of fishing.. I want adult birds by May,,Our last hatch will be Feb<> march..@ the latest,,, Peace,,,,

Oh yes..I don't hatch turkey, but it's fun to follow along at times. I did hatch a few turkeys once..they are sooo funny when they hatch, and make the cutest noises.

They let you hatch anything there too. The first set is turkeys and ducks and then Chickens and finally quail. The Chickens are called tutors since they are hatched with the turkeys to help the turkeys learn to well live. Turkeys need more "Mom" help so if there is not Mom, we have to be the mom for them. Tutors(baby chicks) Help to make the Mom job easier.

See what I learned from that Hath a long?

thank+you+so+much.jpg

Thank you again Ron. It was a lot of fun. And so very helpful.

Just to let you know, I did post pictures of my three that hatched, knowing you, you have it. That's my final. Not sure I made it clear that the one lonely egg I have in lock down was not entered. So, three is my final count.
sign0092.gif

I have your hatch numbers recorded!

I did not currently join this hatch-a-long because I was not intending on hatching eggs. My duck hen was hatching some. but in the morning of hatch day she had pips and for some reason stepped on the eggs and crushed them. I rescued 2 eggs and put them in the bator I candled them one they warmed back up. One was infertile and this little duckling hatched in the afternoon of New years day. I think that it is a little girl an Indian runner.

I have also been reading this entire thread and I am not hatching either. Just living vicariously.
big_smile.png
love.gif
Ducks are so cute!

Back
Top Bottom