5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

ive realized some of my mutt chicks have down pointing tails...some have upward tails.

so downward pointing = pullets, upward = males? if so this will help a lot. my chicks are 4 days old today.
I wish it was that easy! LOL And my grandmother told me when I was young that was the first signs of a roo, but isn't always the case.
smile.png

Well, I know I'm late, but my final results were 6 chicks from 36 eggs. *wince* I had a bad temp fluctuation on day 20, and I think that did in most of my chicks. I had 4 fast, natural hatches, 2 assisted hatches, and 4 additional pips. The last four were all mis-positions, as was one of the assisted hatches. I'm guessing that between my inexperience as a hatcher, my LG, and the temp going all over the place, I have reasonable explanations of my less than stellar results. Did a few eggtopsies -- they were almost all pipped into the wrong end and drowned in shell. :/

Well, it's only onward and upward from here! Well, except one of my chicks has a badly twisted leg and I'm not sure I'll be able to save it. Still, it's 5 very healthy, fuzzy chickies. Pictures as soon as I can.

Well, I know I'm late, but my final results were 6 chicks from 36 eggs. *wince* I had a bad temp fluctuation on day 20, and I think that did in most of my chicks. I had 4 fast, natural hatches, 2 assisted hatches, and 4 additional pips. The last four were all mis-positions, as was one of the assisted hatches. I'm guessing that between my inexperience as a hatcher, my LG, and the temp going all over the place, I have reasonable explanations of my less than stellar results. Did a few eggtopsies -- they were almost all pipped into the wrong end and drowned in shell. :/

Well, it's only onward and upward from here! Well, except one of my chicks has a badly twisted leg and I'm not sure I'll be able to save it. Still, it's 5 very healthy, fuzzy chickies. Pictures as soon as I can.
smilies-3434.png

The next hatch will be better with the new knowledge and experience!

Can Orpingtons be reliably feather sexed? If they can, then it looks like I have 3 girls and 2 boys. The RIRxEE I won't even venture a guess on. I already know from the ones I hatched this summer that their feathering is all mixed up. Some feather fast some feather slow with no rhyme or reason. I had 4 hatched under a broody this summer and 3 of them feathered out really fast and one feathered really slow. I thought I had 3 pullets and one cockerel. Nope. 2 of the fast feathers were boys and one was a girl and the slow feather was a boy too.
tongue.png

Wow, that trail camera takes great pictures! How cool!
Thanks!!It's the new Bushnell game camera. My beautiful wife gave it to me for Christmas . I only had a little over 1100 pictures to check . I had it out for a few weeks.( She had gave it to me early).I was surprised about the quality of photos also.

Thanks!!It's the new Bushnell game camera. My beautiful wife gave it to me for Christmas . I only had a little over 1100 pictures to check . I had it out for a few weeks.( She had gave it to me early).I was surprised about the quality of photos also.
This one would be so cool to have. I caught a bob cat last year around this time of year and would have LOVED to have that nice of pictures. =)

So, I have found the little silkie chick that had the crossed beak:

THE CROSS IS ALL GONE! im super excited!

the day she hatched

1 day after

TODAY!!!!
ya.gif

Im so happy!

BUT>>>
this chick also has a slightly vaulted head
when she hatched

.....before I found this out I kept running my finger over it....wondering ehat the heck was wrong with it....I just did that now. I hope I didn't press its head TOO hard.....
hide.gif
do you think it will be OK (because I pressed it)? know that I know what it is i wont press it anymore!
big_smile.png

WILL SHE BE OK BECAUSE I PRESSED IT?!?!??!?!? God, im such a stupid worry wart.
hmm.png

Do any of you have vaulted chicks or grown birds? id surely like to see.

Ok....so....today she is 4 days old.....is it too late to tell whether a male for female?

I tested her using an old wives tale.....the head hanging method. It proved it a girl.

I THINK she is a porcelain....am I correct on that? she doesn't have as dark chipmunk stripes as my partridge....so im thinking porcelain. I have seen pics of the porcelain chicks, and some have stripes....but is MINE a porcelain?

(she is the lighter silkie)

thanks guys for all your help!!!!

~Bantambury

< "WAITTTTTTTT WHY ARE YOU SENDING THIS!?!?!??! I STILL NEED A NAME!"

OOOhhhhhh yeah.forgot. any idea what to name her? I knew you all could help.....she wants a name. LOL
Maybe a name which could be for a girl or boy? thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom