5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Quote: You will love them, they are fun, they follow you all over the place, if you learn their whistle, they will come to you when you do it, learn it as soon as they hatch and do it back to them. My hen still comes to me when I do it. Word of advise though, turkeys are fragile in the first 4 to 6 weeks and tend to die for no reason, sadness, cold, wet are their biggest killers. (BF said more like 8 to 10 weeks)

Last edited:
They get like that from the irritation of constantly cleaning off the poo. I would suggest putting some Bag Balm or Neosporin on it, so it helps keep the poo from sticking and helps calm the skin. Be sure to put just a tiny dab on the vent, keeping it off of the feathers.

Feeding a finely ground, whole 7 grain, Organic cereal bought at the health food store (in the bulk bins) helps keep chicks from getting pasty butt
wink.png

Good luck!

Yes, the Wyandottes will be fine with them. Space, non-aggressive breeds, extra water and food source - you're good to go.

The ceramic ones come in wattages from 60 to 250. They're more efficient because they don't produce light. All energy goes to heat. I don't think any of them are a huge fire hazard. When the ceramic ones break they usually just crack around the stem. When the glass ones break - well, you know. Regardless of the type, well attached and not in contact with flammable things there's no problem. If they break, they're broken, not a real fire hazard. Shock hazard yes, but not a fire hazard.
Prudence with things like extension cords or anything electrical is imperative.

The big benefit IMO of the ceramic is that you can provide natural daylength rather than the birds having to endure light 24/7.

Chick Grit, yogurt and scrambled eggs.

Hatching or any stress caused pasty butt.

It is just irritated. I had 2 last summer that I had to clean at least once a day. Vaseline his vent, and the fuzz around it that way it will help the pasty not be so pasty and may help it be less sore. =) A change of diet might help too. Hope this helps and as long as it is just pasty butt and you are cleaning him you shouldn't loose him.
Thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate and love this thread. I am determined to save this chick because he is so cute.

Yes, the Wyandottes will be fine with them. Space, non-aggressive breeds, extra water and food source - you're good to go.

The ceramic ones come in wattages from 60 to 250. They're more efficient because they don't produce light. All energy goes to heat. I don't think any of them are a huge fire hazard. When the ceramic ones break they usually just crack around the stem. When the glass ones break - well, you know. Regardless of the type, well attached and not in contact with flammable things there's no problem. If they break, they're broken, not a real fire hazard. Shock hazard yes, but not a fire hazard.
Prudence with things like extension cords or anything electrical is imperative.

The big benefit IMO of the ceramic is that you can provide natural daylength rather than the birds having to endure light 24/7.

okay thank you ! Ill look into the ceramic heat emitters

Okay, I was wrong. I don't have 3 black silkies.

Went out to get pics. Grey showgirl and one black kept hiding, so no pics.

But got a pic of the other 2 blacks. Apparently, one is a silkie and the other is a showgirl.

So...

2 showgirls (grey & black)
2 silkies (black & partridge)
1 to be determined (black)

Cute photos..have to ask, is that a back up mom right there? :D

-10 here tonight, -3 for a high tomorrow, we're also in the midst of a true blizzard.

My son just called and said he heard on the news that people in my zip code were without power.
fl.gif

Good thing I got the generator fixed. I'll just have to find a way to helicopter it up to the house.

Oh wow chickencanoe...that's what we did a couple of winters back. I lost one girl. A NN. She was pretty much full grown, but just couldn't do it. We got down to the double digit minus too..and only up to the single digits in the day. Man, I hope we don't do that again this year! We've already had a cold spell in Dec. It got into the single digits..and only down to minus 2..just don't want to go that far again either!

@ChickenCanoe... I'm curious if this would be a good idea for when I have to move my chicks outside. we are building a coop that is 3'x4' and it is going to have reflective insulation inside and it is well ventilated. could i use a 100W ceramic heat emitter plugged into a thermo cube to keep them warm? I don't want to have to rely on heat because I have seen my other hens survive ten below just fine, but I know the chicks will need heat until they are fully feathered ( which should take how long? )

Back
Top Bottom