5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Good King Henry's very first offspring has hatched !!

Noisy noisy bugger, the one I heard internal piped last night & now out of the egg and has not stopped shouting the entire 1st hour,
also running around (well flopping & dragging & falling but you know) screaming at other eggs to hurry up. (I did hear what I think was a 3rd peeping)
First hatch chick is all dry & fluffy now and not all that impressed w/ the little upstart ;P

By the way this one is acting I expect a better hatch rate this batch.

When my NYDH hatcher ignored all the eggs that was my clue things had gone badly,
when they run around screaming at them, or curl up & hug on them then those eggs generally hatch
so all this noise driving the 2 cats & 2 dogs bonkers is a good thing!

my older chickens survived minus ten the other night with no frostbite and without heat. but I'm curious if they will be ready to withstand that at only about a month.

@MontanaDolphin I'm sorry about your chick
sad.png
I hope someone can help... did she have pasty butt or get to hot?

No pasty butt, and couldn't have gotten too hot...I have an ecoglow in a brooder four times its size.
I am so sorry to hear that!

We have free necropsy service for flocks under 1000 here in CA. It could have been from an injury--Broken neck or even an organ failure.

Not broken neck, organ failure...perhaps. I did an autopsy on her, and here are my findings:
She had not absorbed her yolk. Her entire abdominal cavity was filled with blood CLOTS (which means it was not from me opening her up). I'm talking blood clots the size of dimes in this tiny little chick. She had chick start in her gizzard. A small portion of her intestine was inflated...like a balloon.

I do not know what any of my findings mean, but at least I know it's not something the rest of my chicks have.

No pasty butt, and couldn't have gotten too hot...I have an ecoglow in a brooder four times its size.

Not broken neck, organ failure...perhaps. I did an autopsy on her, and here are my findings:
She had not absorbed her yolk. Her entire abdominal cavity was filled with blood CLOTS (which means it was not from me opening her up). I'm talking blood clots the size of dimes in this tiny little chick. She had chick start in her gizzard. A small portion of her intestine was inflated...like a balloon.

I do not know what any of my findings mean, but at least I know it's not something the rest of my chicks have.

Good job!

They will go and seem fine and shortly after 3 days old they will die like that. It sounds like the chicks organs did not start up correctly.

smilies-3434.png

It is time for winners!

Best Hatch Rate: First Place @Wisher1000 94% Set hatch rate.
Second Place: @draye 81% Set hatch rate

Worst hatch rate: @Penny Hen with 0 with 26 set.

I will contact you with prize information.

I will announce the two winners for the Cutest Chick hatched after I eat dinner! It is a Pot Pie and the stock was made from home made Rabbit and Turkey.

91.gif

Last edited:
[IMG]http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s38/smilies-3434.png[/IMG] It is time for winners! Best Hatch Rate: First Place @Wisher1000 94% Set hatch rate.
Worst hatch rate: @Pennyhen with 0 with 26 set. I will contact you with prize information. I will announce the two winners for the Cutest Chick hatched after I eat dinner! It is a Pot Pie and the stock was made from home made Rabbit and Turkey. [IMG]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/91.gif[/IMG]
congrats guys! And sorry about the worst hatch rate :/ enjoy your dinner!

smilies-3434.png

It is time for winners!

Worst hatch rate: @Pennyhen with 0 with 26 set.

I will announce the two winners for the Cutest Chick hatched after I eat dinner! It is a Pot Pie and the stock was made from home made Rabbit and Turkey.

91.gif
CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners!!!! Sorry, Pennyhen, that you won worst hatch rate. Hope your next hatch goes 100% better!
wee.gif

:woot
[IMG]http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s38/smilies-3434.png[/IMG] It is time for winners! Best Hatch Rate: First Place @Wisher1000 94% Set hatch rate.
Worst hatch rate: @Pennyhen with 0 with 26 set. I will contact you with prize information. I will announce the two winners for the Cutest Chick hatched after I eat dinner! It is a Pot Pie and the stock was made from home made Rabbit and Turkey. [IMG]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/91.gif[/IMG]
Congrats to all the winners and may you all have amazing hatches throughout the year.

Last edited:
smilies-3434.png

It is time for winners!

Worst hatch rate: @Pennyhen with 0 with 26 set.

91.gif

Congratulations! (and, er, um . . . condolences. Sorry about that one, Pennyhen. But, hang your prize for that in a place of honor. It is proof that you are stretching and growing.)

smilies-3434.png
It is time for winners! Best Hatch Rate: First Place @Wisher1000 94% Set hatch rate.
Worst hatch rate: @Pennyhen with 0 with 26 set. I will contact you with prize information. I will announce the two winners for the Cutest Chick hatched after I eat dinner! It is a Pot Pie and the stock was made from home made Rabbit and Turkey.
91.gif
Congrats guys! Especially best hatch raters! Go figure, I come in at about 100 off the chick count contest, and had a 0% hatch rate but was about 10 short. I'm used to luck like this LOL. No matter, congrats all, and sorry about your hatch Pennyhen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom