5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

The first three ducks in the temporary brooder.. One more in the incubator and two more still hatching..

So far looks like 6 out of 7 from lock down to hatch.

Much better than my first attempt where I got 6 out of 30..

I love ducklings
love.gif
Great job!

I am sooo jealous. Frizzled anything has been a goal of mine for a while now, but, I am getting out of bantams. I need to get a hold of a largefowl frizzle, like cochin..hmmm
love.gif
Someone in San Francisco had a Frizzled Australorp. It was very nice looking.

Winner of the Cutest Chick Hatched contest:

Avlana!

Second Place:

Esti!

Congratulations! Save the pictures for the Calendar contest later this year!

All of the pictures were great and thanks for sharing them.

I'd like more design info or more pictures of your sling. I love the idea. Very ingenious.
I've seen chicken chairs but yours looks like it may have enough mobility to keep it happy.
It was a very simple design.

I made a template out of a piece of paper and shaped it like the letter 'D', so the flat edges were on the fold of the fabric. I cut it out, then cut out a hole in the middle. Then I just trimmed it to size on the chick, lightly sewed the back up across it's back (like a corset, basically, but only tight enough to keep it on, not tight enough to make the chick cut a 'fine figure'). I slipped a big safety pin through at the back and slipped some yarn there, and then tied the yarn to a frame I was using over the top of the box. It was tied so that I could adjust how much or how little the chick was standing on its leg. I just made sure it could reach the ground to peck/drink and that its vent wasn't covered up.

Unfortunately, the chick didn't make it. Its leg healed up well and it was standing and walking fine on it, but it just up and died. It was always much smaller than the other chicks and never very 'lively'. I suspect peritonitis, though I didn't think to do a necropsy on it.

Late set batch update there aren't due til Wed , but 2 hatched monday.

I pulled the 2 hatched chicks over to the brooder w/ the NYDH 2, who were initially frightened by the newcomers but all is well now.

Meanwhile one of the other (2) green eggs (Good King Henry's) has been peeping w/o pip for nearly 24 hrs
during which time this deep freeze has has our heat pump doing crazy things to the temp/humidity & air pressure in the house,
w/ that all in mind (& the 2 chicks out of the hatcher) I seriously spiked the humidity in there waited 2 hrs and still no pip.

I then pulled the rather frantically peeping green egg & did a small external pip (shell only not membrane) so it can get oxygen and
possibly pip - I noticed having opened a lot of eggs the past yr that this shell was EXTREAMLY thick, difficult to scratch/pip.
(The girls have been getting a lot of high calcium fresh greens and I'd say that has made a notable difference in their shells)

Anyway, due to all the house heatpump weirdness I'm assuming it is causing issues & am doing some minimal assistance w/ this egg as I think the chick likely well formed but poss. unable to hatch due to the incubation situation.

Meanwhile, another of the Large Brown eggs has begun to peep so I'm hopeful that it & the other 6 (5brown,1green) remaining in the bator will w/ the major increase in humidity be able to hatch w/o assistance, and perhaps the slightly assisted 1 green egg will hatch too.

still not pictures, sorry kinda snowed under atm, literally & figuratively...

WOOHOO to all the Contest Winners !!! Hope everyone enjoys their prizes.
To the zero % hatch folks, sorry! Try again when conditions are favorable ; NYDH is a really hard time to have good hatch rates.

I hope they hatch for you!!!! Pictures when you can
big_smile.png

The first three ducks in the temporary brooder.. One more in the incubator and two more still hatching..

So far looks like 6 out of 7 from lock down to hatch.

Much better than my first attempt where I got 6 out of 30..

What kind of ducklings are they???

I am sooo jealous. Frizzled anything has been a goal of mine for a while now, but, I am getting out of bantams. I need to get a hold of a largefowl frizzle, like cochin..hmmm
love.gif

I want to get a frizzle for my mom SO BAD...but I can't find the one she wants anywhere! Heck, I'd take hatching eggs now that I know my bator works! Does anyone know where I can get a pair of Polish Frizzles? She wants them to look like this pic I just pulled off the internet (or similar...gotta have the fluffy on the head):

article-1169311-0440243F000005DC-268_468x332.jpg

EDITED because I put the wrong picture of the frizzle!

Last edited:
Late set batch update there aren't due til Wed , but 2 hatched monday. I pulled the 2 hatched chicks over to the brooder w/ the NYDH 2, who were initially frightened by the newcomers but all is well now. Meanwhile one of the other (2) green eggs (Good King Henry's) has been peeping w/o pip for nearly 24 hrs during which time this deep freeze has has our heat pump doing crazy things to the temp/humidity NYDH is a really hard time to have good hatch rates.
[COLOR=0000FF]I hope they hatch for you!!!! Pictures when you can :D [/COLOR]
The first three ducks in the temporary brooder.. One more in the incubator and two more still hatching.. So far looks like 6 out of 7 from lock down to hatch. Much better than my first attempt where I got 6 out of 30..
[COLOR=0000FF]What kind of ducklings are they???[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]I am sooo jealous. Frizzled anything has been a goal of mine for a while now, but, I am getting out of bantams. I need to get a hold of a largefowl frizzle, like cochin..hmmm:love [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]I want to get a frizzle for my mom SO BAD...but I can't find the one she wants anywhere! Heck, I'd take hatching eggs now that I know my bator works! Does anyone know where I can get a pair of Polish Frizzles? She wants them to look like this pic I just pulled off the internet (or similar...gotta have the fluffy on the head):[/COLOR]
article-1169311-0440243F000005DC-268_468x332.jpg
EDITED because I put the wrong picture of the frizzle!
So far 2 Khaki Campbells 2 Pekin

So far 2 Khaki Campbells 2 Pekin
Sweet!!! I LOVE ducks! We just bought this house (our first home
big_smile.png
) in 2013, and we have a garden pond. Didn't want to get ducks right away, wanted to start with chickens (which, btw, has been an absolutely amazingly incredible and fulfilling journey), but now that I have had chickens for almost a year, am ready for the ducks. Pekins, Khakis, and Cubalaya (I think that's how the last one is spelled) are the three I want to get. Where did you get your eggs from, if you don't mind my asking?

Winner of the Cutest Chick Hatched contest:

Avlana!

Second Place:

Esti!

Congratulations! Save the pictures for the Calendar contest later this year!

All of the pictures were great and thanks for sharing them.

ep.gif
My little Chip got 1st?! Yippee! Thank you everyone. He's passed out and snoozing away in his brooder. He has no clue lol. Thank you Ron for everything! This was lots of fun. I enjoyed it. Everyone had super cute chicks, ducklings and quails
smile.png

Congratulations Aviana!!

Thank you!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom