5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Could use a larger feeder and keep the feed level at half. If you have the option of an outside tray, that's the most mess/waste free system I've found.
I put the food in a dish and dampen the food. They don't dig at it to find the smaller pieces. Once they can handle the larger pieces, I stop wetting it.

UPDATE! will add pictures later....

so far, I have noticed 2 of my silkies are FRIZZLE SILKIES! OMG! they have curly flippidy wing feathers! what a surprise!
Congrats
ya.gif

My little Chip got 1st?! Yippee! Thank you everyone. He's passed out and snoozing away in his brooder. He has no clue lol. Thank you Ron for everything! This was lots of fun. I enjoyed it. Everyone had super cute chicks, ducklings and quails

Thank you!

Congratulations. You had some beautiful babies.
clap.gif

So far 2 Khaki Campbells 2 Pekin

Sweet!!! I LOVE ducks! We just bought this house (our first home :D ) in 2013, and we have a garden pond. Didn't want to get ducks right away, wanted to start with chickens (which, btw, has been an absolutely amazingly incredible and fulfilling journey), but now that I have had chickens for almost a year, am ready for the ducks. Pekins, Khakis, and Cubalaya (I think that's how the last one is spelled) are the three I want to get. Where did you get your eggs from, if you don't mind my asking?

Metzer Farm or efowl.com. I order 12 got 15 gave 3 away for somebody else to hatch.. of the 12 I kept 7 made it to lockdown.

I've hatched Khakis in the past (2) and my son loved them. Full of personality.. now will have Pekins, Khakis and Muscovies..

Metzer Farm or efowl.com. I order 12 got 15 gave 3 away for somebody else to hatch.. of the 12 I kept 7 made it to lockdown.

I've hatched Khakis in the past (2) and my son loved them. Full of personality.. now will have Pekins, Khakis and Muscovies..
Oh golly, I don't want that many ducks lol...I only want a pair of each. Crap. I bet they have minimum order, don't they. SIGH.
Thanks for letting me know!!

Congratulations to all the winners and participants, and heartfelt thanks to all who offered information, support, encouragement and camaraderie. This was the first time I participated in a hatch-along and it was a lot more educational that I expected! Ron, thank you a thousand times for being such a wonderful, kind, and supportive host, I found the thread congenial, cheerful, and very satisfying :)

Quote:
When you say you have a garden pond, what kind is that? Ornamental? How many gallons? I ask because ducks will destroy it...quickly if it's small. You should see what my pastors 4 Pekins have done to his. Heck, you should see what my little Call ducks are capable of, lol! Not trying to discourage you, just warn you, if it's a pond that is dear to your heart or small.

Oh golly, I don't want that many ducks lol...I only want a pair of each. Crap. I bet they have minimum order, don't they. SIGH.
Thanks for letting me know!!

well if you buy eggs not ducklings then youprobably won't get a 100% hatch rate especially because they are shipped. I had only wanted 4 more layers out of this hatch but I got a dozen eggs, and only 8 hatched and assuming they are 50/50 male and female then I have my 4 layers :) lol and then I'll have a nice rooster and some dinner ;)

When you say you have a garden pond, what kind is that? Ornamental? How many gallons? I ask because ducks will destroy it...quickly if it's small. You should see what my pastors 4 Pekins have done to his. Heck, you should see what my little Call ducks are capable of, lol! Not trying to discourage you, just warn you, if it's a pond that is dear to your heart or small.
Is it ornamental when there's a ton of flowers around it? That's what kind of pond it is. And it has a waterfall, and fish. I have no idea how many gallons.
If that means it's an ornamental pond, then I'll buy them a pool LOL.

Last winter:

Spring:

Back
Top Bottom