5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I have a chicken color related question:

My two naked neck chicks are black, with sort of a 'penguin' light grey underbelly and white dots on the sides of their mouths. The ONLY hen I have that has grey feet (like these two) is a Dominant white who shows a lot of black 'splash'. These chicks have white feathers on their 'fingertips'...will they stay black like this with white wingtips or will they become progressively more white as they age?

I'm more curious than anything :)

I have a chicken color related question:

My two naked neck chicks are black, with sort of a 'penguin' light grey underbelly and white dots on the sides of their mouths. The ONLY hen I have that has grey feet (like these two) is a Dominant white who shows a lot of black 'splash'. These chicks have white feathers on their 'fingertips'...will they stay black like this with white wingtips or will they become progressively more white as they age?

I'm more curious than anything :)

I'm thinking the white will go..like the baby Austrlorps does. Of course, it could be different. ?? The wait and see will have to happen. I love NN's. :)

ron, will be watching to see how your babies end up looking like as hens. Very interested in how they will look. Interesting mix. Olive Eggers..right?

ron, will be watching to see how your babies end up looking like as hens. Very interested in how they will look. Interesting mix. Olive Eggers..right?

Yes! The Green eggs should be Khaki like the egg you posted on the OE thread. Some will lay brown eggs though. I need to figure out the next cross.

X2....a big goal of mine, purple & pink egger!
Just get a commercial black...LOL...plenty of times I've gone to collect the eggs (which, btw, should be all brown) there's been a pink egg. No lie. Then there are some that are a peachy-pink. Tried to hatch two for this hatchalong, and neither were fertile (both ended up being clears). Next hatch, though, I'm gonna try again...to see if it was just bad luck picking the two peach/pink eggs that weren't fertile, or if all those eggs I get are not fertile. I'll get my camera out and take pics of them, but you know how cameras and lighting go...sometimes you just can't capture the true color...but I'll try!

one of my Delaware hens ran out of the coop this morning to the nesting box in the goat shelter and has been sitting on two fake eggs cooing for about an hour now... im gonna go check on her again in a bit but idk if she's going broody or just taking her time laying an egg. she laid in that nesting box yesterday. I dont have a rooster so if she is broody I'll have to get her some eggs..

Quote:
Ahhh..I'll have to look into that. Over the summer I watched my friends chickens while they were on vacation. Everyday I collected the most gorgeous truly pink egg that had an awesome waxy bloom coating on it. Problem: she has like 20 hens, all different kinds and who knows what lays what!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom