5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I know where you can get some small colored cable ties.....
big_smile.png
I use the cable ties on the chicks until they're old enough to stay in one band (stopped growing.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/748804/cable-ties-for-chick-id

Can I use tiny zip ties to band my chicks for the next few weeks? If so, how much wider will the legs get- I don't want to make them too tight.
I use colored zip ties as they come out of the hatcher. I tighten them enough that I can't slip them off the foot so still a little loose. They're good for about 10 days and need replacing. I check them weekly at first and eventually they're good for several weeks. I start using bands when a #6 will stay on. I still keep the zip ties because if bands fall off of 2 birds I still have a point of reference. I keep sets of #6, #7, #8 and #10. The adult roosters can usually keep #10 on, adult hens #8.

Can I use tiny zip ties to band my chicks for the next few weeks? If so, how much wider will the legs get- I don't want to make them too tight.
I had to zip tie color code one batch of chicks last spring. I was suprised how many times I had to change the bands -- you can only make them so roomy when you put them on, or they can fall off or get the back toe caught in them, but then the chicks grow fast & you have to keep a real on it so you can cut them off b/f they get too tight to cut safely. Also, the birds didn't grow at all at the same rate, breeds, pullets vs roos, & just individual birds, this was really important you have to check all the birds zip ties regularly b/c even though you start w/ them the same size the same day, after that you'll find birds that need them changed way fast than others, you have to inspect every single band individually don't make any assumptions , really handle each bird to check!

(Also, some do come off -- I zip tied my 2 purchased SFH cockerals 2 wks ago, & the one that started crowing the other day has removed his already , the two nearly identical MF pattern birds both hatched in Oct from diff. sources still have their diff. color zip ties but I'm going to need real leg bands soon if they don't start looking diff. soon...)

Hope that info helps - oh 1 more, kind just for fun , I do the leg band left for pullet right for roo & then see how well I did at guessing as they grow, I think this will help me improve guess work over time and it is a sort of fun game my poultry hating DH actually joins in (his guesswork is about 90% on day old mutt EEs ).

Hope that info helps - oh 1 more, kind just for fun , I do the leg band left for pullet right for roo & then see how well I did at guessing as they grow, I think this will help me improve guess work over time and it is a sort of fun game my poultry hating DH actually joins in (his guesswork is about 90% on day old mutt EEs ). 

This is exactly why I wanted to mark them! Great information from both of you, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom