5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Totally agree, but in the case of the Serama's I would still do a planned lockdown. In nature they come from the tropics and would have been incubated at higher humidity. People talk about how hard they are to hatch, and I haven't found them to be fragile birds at all, so I believe it's more than likely humidity issues throughout incubation.
Definitely, any birds or eggs that have a tendency to need more attention, then by all means.
Penedesenca eggs don't seem to lose moisture like others so I do fine with a dry incubation.

We were just referring to the term lockdown, the importance of timing, etc..
IMO it's a term coined for tabletop incubators or those that can dry out instantaneously when opened. As Wisher said, timing is not that critical. Anything from 17-19 days is fine as long as one doesn't have early bloomers.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I got a fun question for all of you!
What have you all named your chicks? I sill need to think of names so could you all help me?

All these chicks are growing up so fast! I love to hear about all the fun things our chicks are doing!
what do you all plan on hatching for Easter? I may do polish and silkies......

Hey guys! I got a fun question for all of you!
What have you all named your chicks? I sill need to think of names so could you all help me?

All these chicks are growing up so fast! I love to hear about all the fun things our chicks are doing!
what do you all plan on hatching for Easter? I may do polish and silkies......

I have 10 chicks and my kids started naming a few of them. So far we have

Sugar
Blueberry
Freya
Snowball
Christmas Tree(named by 4 yr old niece)
Bobo the 2nd

they are still working on the other 4.

I have 34 chicks and except for a few, they're virtually impossible to tell apart (or maybe I'm not that observant).

So far 7 are named. They are from a different rooster and 2 hens unrelated to mine.
Orange zip tie right leg
Red zip tie right leg
Black zip tie right leg
White zip tie left leg
Orange zip tie left leg
Green zip tie left leg
Yellow zip tie left leg

In another week or 2 I'll probably decide on culls based on color, Keepers will be banded. About 2 months later more keepers will be identified and banded based on size and shape.
When they're about 4 months old, pullets will be 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, et. al., cockerels will be 13, 14, 15 etc..
When they start laying, darkest egg birds will be in breeder pens and average/light eggers will go to the layer pen.
Pretty impersonal isn't it?

Bantambury, you may enjoy this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/701076/cutest-chicken-names

Last edited:
Figure I'd share... Refurbished feed sack. Super easy, and only took a few hours (and a little bit of help from the wife.);) if you're interested, just google 'chicken feed sack refurbish' and it should pull up some ideas and patterns for ya.

Figure I'd share... Refurbished feed sack. Super easy, and only took a few hours (and a little bit of help from the wife.)
wink.png
if you're interested, just google 'chicken feed sack refurbish' and it should pull up some ideas and patterns for ya.
Oooo! I love this! Now to find something other than the paper sacks that my feed somes in. =)

Back
Top Bottom