5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I have noticed that Aquarians can always spot one another moreso than the other signs spot each other. By the way the Breda were a very popular chicken before the Civil War. They were known as Guelderlands or Guelders (it's the region in Europe that they were from). The devastation of the Civil War and the influx of new breeds caused them to die out in America.

I have found 2 breeder with eggs, and 1 of them also has chicks/juveniles. Because of their limited availability, I may just get the chicks. That way its guaranteed. Hate to pay a fortune for eggs that I mess up trying to hatch. Specially such a rare breed.

Last edited:
I tries making a splint for my silkie......her fifth toe curls under and she literaily WALKS ON HER TOE! I just gave up trying to fix it....I don't even know if its even fixable at this point being 2 weeks old....
Very Cute!

If she is walking fine you can ignore it. I love the five toes!

Now this is what I was wondering. I made OE's blue/black sexlink using my blue amer roo and a GCM. If I take the roos which will be barred and put back over the GCM wont those be sexlinks again? It would be like barred rock head dots defined ones would be female and the splotchy ones would be males. That's what I'm thinking anyways. I'm trying to make a F2 OE sexlink. I saw someone online selling F2 female chicks but don't know how they sex them besides how I described.
There is a thread on making sex links. Most of them have one parent with a barred gene. A Black chicken with a barred chicken will make a sex link so you could try the correct offspring from the f1 cross to see what you get.

Last edited:
3 of 3 eggs that went into lockdown hatched today. All Heritage RIR.
glad you had a good hatch. out of 3 eggs none hatched for me today :(. it was my first time hatching too. well TRYING to hatch i guess.... good news is i have bobwhites that are looking good and should hatch thursday :). im thinking they didnt hatch because they were pullet eggs. i incubated the biggest ones i had :/ not good enough i guess

Did someone already say what day the Easter hatch starts? I have a 9 week old Marans, and I'm wondering if he might be fertile in time.

Set day is Sunday March 30th.

Im not sure if your young Marans will be ready in time, you could get lucky. What breed of hens will he be in with?

Did someone already say what day the Easter hatch starts? I have a 9 week old Marans, and I'm wondering if he might be fertile in time.

No, they will not. They need to get to 30 plus weeks to be laying, fertile and big enough eggs.

I read the results of a study--hatch rates go down for eggs below 45 to 50G

Back
Top Bottom