5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Quote:
My Lavender Orps took Foreeeeever to lay!! I'm pretty sure they were almost 30 weeks before the first one did. It was soo frustrating!
duc.gif

Well baby #4 hatched today she started at 6:30am and made her final appearance at 2:51pm. Unfortunately the other babies did not like her and I was not home to supervise the hatch. Baby #4 RIP.
hit.gif
Some days the chicken cam is good - other days it just tells the very sad truth.
hit.gif

Oh, that's horrible. They picked it to death?
It is very strange. It all happened in just a matter of two minutes. Mama looked like she was helping the baby - gently - then the other babies came over and started pecking. The baby is in perfect condition, no peck holes on her body but it does look like her little umbilical cord may have been cut early. It is still a clear color even now. There was a very small amount of blood in the nest and Mama ate the shell just like she did with the rest of the babies.

It looked like the baby was born alive, I can see her breathing Mama moved her twice after she came out of the shell. I don't know if that is normal or not? This is my very first hatch.

I am mad at myself because I almost came home from work early at 2:30 to check on the baby but I didn't. At 2:30 she was still working her way out of the shell and I would have stayed to watch her.
hit.gif
I could have saved her.
hit.gif

It is very strange. It all happened in just a matter of two minutes. Mama looked like she was helping the baby - gently - then the other babies came over and started pecking. The baby is in perfect condition, no peck holes on her body but it does look like her little umbilical cord may have been cut early. It is still a clear color even now. There was a very small amount of blood in the nest and Mama ate the shell just like she did with the rest of the babies.

It looked like the baby was born alive, I can see her breathing Mama moved her twice after she came out of the shell. I don't know if that is normal or not? This is my very first hatch.

I am mad at myself because I almost came home from work early at 2:30 to check on the baby but I didn't. At 2:30 she was still working her way out of the shell and I would have stayed to watch her.
hit.gif
I could have saved her.
hit.gif

its OK! it will happen! my first hatch was under a broody......we saw my mother hen peck our baby right on the head....another broody was trying to take over the chicks so the mom just tried to kill her and one other chick......my entire flock also pecked an ENTIRE egg off of one of my chicks.....it didn't even have a pip yet, and was clearly not ready to hatch. it will happen.

here are all my chicks stories on this chicken page if you want to read from my first hatch and learn from my mistakes..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-story-of-pumpkin-and-her-flock

I give you all my wishes for best luck on your coming and hatched babies! were they 15 days late? if so.....WOW I would've thrown them away by accident, thinking they were all dead.....Your such a nice chicken mama!

its OK! it will happen! my first hatch was under a broody......we saw my mother hen peck our baby right on the head....another broody was trying to take over the chicks so the mom just tried to kill her and one other chick......my entire flock also pecked an ENTIRE egg off of one of my chicks.....it didn't even have a pip yet, and was clearly not ready to hatch. it will happen.

here are all my chicks stories on this chicken page if you want to read from my first hatch and learn from my mistakes..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-story-of-pumpkin-and-her-flock

I give you all my wishes for best luck on your coming and hatched babies! were they 15 days late? if so.....WOW I would've thrown them away by accident, thinking they were all dead.....Your such a nice chicken mama!
Yes, they were set on Dec 10th - super late but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of them. It was close but I candled them and could see the babies moving. I still have 2 more that are moving inside the eggs - I am moving them out ASAP but I don't have an incubator sooo I am trying to figure out how to make one so this doesn't happen again.

I'm sorry.
hugs.gif
Don't beat yourself up over it. These things happen to all of us that hatch. I tried to assist once before I should have and broke one of the big blood vessels still running through the membrane. The poor thing bled out right in front of me, and all I could do was watch. I killed it and I know it. A hard lesson learned.
Thank you.

Oops! He will be trying! But my girls rarely let young roosters near them. Nothing funnier then Catalana chasing g a young rooster across the yard for getting eager.

Haha! Well I'll just have to see what happens. It won't be a tragedy if it doesn't work, but it would be great to have little Marans babies for Easter.

On a really exciting note, I sold 7 of my chicks a few days ago, and the lady contacted me today saying they wanted more! I told her I did have more, and then gave her a link the the Chicken Math thread on here! :lol:

Yes, they were set on Dec 10th - super late but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of them. It was close but I candled them and could see the babies moving. I still have 2 more that are moving inside the eggs - I am moving them out ASAP but I don't have an incubator sooo I am trying to figure out how to make one so this doesn't happen again.

leave them with the mama....watch till they hatch and then take the babies....or you can hatch in your brooder. I finished my messed up broody hatch in my brooder since I had no bator........they all came out just fine! 2 chicks hatched in there.

Back
Top Bottom