5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Honestly the lighting is hard to see the dark or lightness for me. I am going with 3 & 5 pullet. But don't hold me to it, LOL. There are all adorable and fuzzy right now! The marans too!
I agree with 3 and 5 being pullets. chick number 1 may be a pullet too.

They are beautiful!

Last edited:
Ants in the pants...you know, lol!

#8 BCM

#9 BCM

#10 BCM

#11 BCM

My guess is 1 3 5 and 6. Of course I am new to this so you can't take my word for it at all! I always wait until they are almost fully grown lol. On the other hand I gave away 8 roo's today. Not sure what he wanted them for but he took all the roo's I had to give away. He said he had a huge run and pen. He has no hens. Maybe he's planning on getting some hen's. Or maybe they will go in a big pot of chicken and dumplings and cull them when he's ready to eat.

We culled one last summer and I just couldn't stand to eat the poor thing. Others in the house did but not me....

Quote:
1,3,5,&6 are the ones I've been thinking all along.
fl.gif
In the Marans #8 is definitely a boy & I think #11 is a girl. The others, I won't be hasty judging. I hatched out 1 lonely Splash Marans from a failed batch of shipped eggs last year, and because of early very defined comb growth, and even pinking up, I almost got rid of her. I didn't know for sure she was a hen for at least 4 or so months.

As for your roo's, I think they are gonna fill somebody's freezer. I had it happen last year, a man had replied to an add for 2. When he got here, he tried to take them all. AND he couldn't look me in the eye as to what he wanted them for. I wasn't desperate to get rid of them at the time, and said no. BUT ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

Last edited:
Ok, sex guessers...feel like giving my 5 a go? Barred Rock roo over Barred Rock or Commercial Black (hatchery BR cross).

Chick 1:

Chick 2:

Chick 3:

Chick 4:

Chick 5:
smilies-3434.png

Very nice looking chicks!

I really cannot tell yet with these chicks. I think chick 1, 2 and 5 are roosters. 3 and 4 look like pullets.

I am basing this on leg size, amount of tail feathers and comb. I could be completely wrong but you should have at least two pullets.

Post back at six weeks and we should now for sure. Of course it would be nice if you could post pictures once a week for us.

Ok, sex guessers...feel like giving my 5 a go? Barred Rock roo over Barred Rock or Commercial Black (hatchery BR cross). Chick 1: [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Chick 2: Chick 3: Chick 4: Chick 5:
[IMG]http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s38/smilies-3434.png[/IMG] Very nice looking chicks! I really cannot tell yet with these chicks. I think chick 1, 2 and 5 are roosters. 3 and 4 look like pullets. I am basing this on leg size, amount of tail feathers and comb. I could be completely wrong but you should have at least two pullets. Post back at six weeks and we should now for sure. Of course it would be nice if you could post pictures once a week for us.
Going by combs, head spots & barring patterns on the wings I only see 1 definite pullet. #4 is the only girl I see. The rest all look like boys.

Back
Top Bottom