5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I'm lovin' everyone's chicks! Here are mine! 2 Marans and 1 SLWxEE

I'm thinking one of the Marans is a roo and the other a pullet. I'm not sure on the other chick.

@MontanaDolphin , It's always nice when you have same breed chicks to compare. #4 seems to have an exceptionally long tail compared to the others...

Last edited:
As for your roo's, I think they are gonna fill somebody's freezer. I had it happen last year, a man had replied to an add for 2. When he got here, he tried to take them all. AND he couldn't look me in the eye as to what he wanted them for. I wasn't desperate to get rid of them at the time, and said no. BUT ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?
Well the roo's went to my DH's uncle. I told him to come and get them so he could eat them but then when he was here today he was asking what breeds they were and so on like he might be keeping some of them. Either way it will save my feed. They have just been in a pen by themselves because we picked one of each breed that we liked and the gentle one's. He also picked up 4 meat chickens that I didn't want to see killed so when he kills them I won't see it! He said he wanted all the rooster's that I hatch out which helps me out a lot. No advertising for someone to come get them and not show up. Or several calls and them say they will think about it. We live so far out in the country that people don't want to make the drive even when they are free.

So I need some advice. My 8 chicks are in a ten square foot brooder in my basement and they are getting so crazy and jumping all around and Idk how much longer I can keep them in there.... I can have my coop and run ready for them by tomorrow but then they will only have heat in their coop which isnt much bigger than the brooder but they can have access to a huge run. I'm just wondering if the temps get low, like in the 30s, they will be smart enough to run back into the coop to warm up. Because I don't know how else I can give them more room unless I move my hay out of the shed and turn that into a brooder....

So I need some advice. My 8 chicks are in a ten square foot brooder in my basement and they are getting so crazy and jumping all around and Idk how much longer I can keep them in there.... I can have my coop and run ready for them by tomorrow but then they will only have heat in their coop which isnt much bigger than the brooder but they can have access to a huge run. I'm just wondering if the temps get low, like in the 30s, they will be smart enough to run back into the coop to warm up. Because I don't know how else I can give them more room unless I move my hay out of the shed and turn that into a brooder....

How old are your chicks?

I wanted a white egg layer and dreamer on here said she needed help with silver campiness so I decided to try some of those. they are small but lay a large egg and some say not so flighty as the leghorn. time will tell I think they are neat looking birds and will be fun to try to start where we are and improve the breed :) I will be getting some in march.
jumpy.gif

I wanted a white egg layer and dreamer on here said she needed help with silver campiness so I decided to try some of those. they are small but lay a large egg and some say not so flighty as the leghorn. time will tell I think they are neat looking birds and will be fun to try to start where we are and improve the breed :) I will be getting some in march.
jumpy.gif
yuckyuck.gif

You mean @Wisher1000 ?

I like Dreamer! Let me know how the Campines do for you. They are very nice looking birds.

Back
Top Bottom