5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

What is an Aloha? I may need to add another bird to my collection.

Alohas are a project strain being bred from the ground up by Sommer, a BYCer in Arizona. She's got a couple of website/blogs about them, plus a group on here :) They're still in the 'project' stage, but she started back before you could get Swedish Flower Hens in the US, as an All American version of the same. I'm getting chicks and eggs this spring from her to incorporate into my own spotty flock so there's (another) breeder outside the Arizona area and so I don't have a bunch of boring red chickens running around my yard ;) The upside  is I'm using Sussex and RIRs in the program to help incorporate size (right now, they're a very small chicken) so the sports/layers will still make decent layers. 

I found the thread you have been posting on.

Alohas are a project strain being bred from the ground up by Sommer, a BYCer in Arizona. She's got a couple of website/blogs about them, plus a group on here :) They're still in the 'project' stage, but she started back before you could get Swedish Flower Hens in the US, as an All American version of the same. I'm getting chicks and eggs this spring from her to incorporate into my own spotty flock so there's (another) breeder outside the Arizona area and so I don't have a bunch of boring red chickens running around my yard ;) The upside is I'm using Sussex and RIRs in the program to help incorporate size (right now, they're a very small chicken) so the sports/layers will still make decent layers.
I love 'spotty' chickens. =) I have looked and read about the Alohas and thought they were a very pretty chicken.

Milkshake (roo) Silkie x Japanese Bantam

Bemmie (hen) porcelain silkie?

Tokyo (hen) Japanese bantam

I tell ya, all these babies have grown up SOOOOO fast! how are all of yours doing? so many people have been telling me I DONT have a Japanese bantam...its legs are too long its back is too long. well, its sitting...and this is what my other jap looked as a baby. OH WELL. Life does go on.

~Bantambury

Last edited:
I love 'spotty' chickens. =) I have looked and read about the Alohas and thought they were a very pretty chicken.

These two are going into my breeding program this spring (Ignore Amelia...she likes to photo bomb). Spot's on the right. She's a Speckled Sussex sport and likes to ride around on my shoulder. Her hatch brother 'Helgar' is next to her, but they're not actually related.

These two are going into my breeding program this spring (Ignore Amelia...she likes to photo bomb). Spot's on the right. She's a Speckled Sussex sport and likes to ride around on my shoulder. Her hatch brother 'Helgar' is next to her, but they're not actually related.

I LOVE spot! is she a pure speckeled Sussex? and Amelia is EXACTLY like my chickens Ed and Pumpkin! the real struggle of chicken photohogs. LOL

this was a pic I took in the spring....PHOTOBOMBED by ed....just to get a good laugh! hahah

Last edited:
I LOVE spot! is she a pure speckeled Sussex? and Amelia is EXACTLY like my chickens Ed and Pumpkin! the real struggle of chicken photohogs. LOL

this was a pic I took in the spring....PHOTOBOMBED by ed....just to get a good laugh! hahah
Yup. Spotty's pure, she's just WAY too spotted. The flock she comes from gets a few of them like that now and again and I have dibs on them when they're too spotted. :D

Hawke has siblings! She seems to like them now that she has gotten use to them.
big_smile.png
Oh, they are adorable!!!! Did you mention what they are? I forget.

Yup. Spotty's pure, she's just WAY too spotted. The flock she comes from gets a few of them like that now and again and I have dibs on them when they're too spotted. :D

awesome! so they give you the too spotted birds they don't want? yay for you! you get more layers! ahahahaha wish that would happen to me! LOL

Back
Top Bottom