5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

an update on the worlds longest hatch at my house.

First - Jelly is a frizzle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPEE
wee.gif

Second - I STILL have 1 egg left to hatch!! Today is the 21st and I know for 150000% that egg was set LONG before Jan 1st!!! I moved Mama into her condo on Dec 23rd with every egg!!! So even if someone snuck an egg under Mama the last day when I moved her, which I counted every single day while she was in the coop - that egg is 30 days old!!!!! I candled the egg last night thinking it is definitely time to toss it - but nope - I still see baby AND movement! I am expecting a pip any minute of any day based on what I saw! Mama is funny now since the last episode, she covers the egg with the pine shavings so no one can see the egg when she is not sitting on it! Perhaps protecting it from the others? I am planning to take it out tonight while she sleeps. Just hope I can figure out the correct temp to keep it at so it will hatch out. Any ideas would be appreciated (someone mentioned using my brooder but right now that is the mama/baby condo) so I have to come up with plan C since I have no incubator.

Really just wondering - what is the record for the longest hatch????

I just had 1 hatch 6 days late. Last winter I had a couple go over a week late. If it has been cold & that egg has tended to stay along tje outside edge of the nest then it could be way behind the others.

Finally got pictures of everyone! They have so much personality for sure! 3 weeks old today!
this is Woodstock OE cross cross
wiggles jap bantam
bemmie Silkie something
ivy? OE cross cross
Tokyo jap bantam
timothy partridge sizzle
?OE cross cross
milkshake Jap bantam silkie cross(always chirping nonstop)
? OE cross cross
squidgy (always squirming) white sizzle
button Jap Bantam
leven ( my baby boy! Already crowing!) OE cross cross

Last edited:
Finally got pictures of everyone! They have so much personality for sure! 3 weeks old today!
this is woodstock
wiggles
bemmie
ivy?
tokyo
timothy
?
milkshake (always chirping nonstop)
?
squidgy (always squirming)
button
leven ( my baby boy! Already crowing!)
They are all so cute! I can't believe leven is crowing already!
1f60d.png

man that boy is CRAZY with a capital C!
hahaha we are in trouble if he crows in the garage! no coop built for them yet! hahaha
he only crows when left alone...so if he isn't alone, he SHOULDNT crow (knock on wood!)

They are SO stinkin cute! You make purdy babies! Your Woodstock, Wiggles, and Tokyo look just like my CCL/SBELs! Are any of your chicks standard sizes?

I found one of mine laying sideways unable to walk Sunday. I kept reading to cull if they aren't strong and she has always been the runt of the litter. But dh and the fam (who don't like birds and won't touch them really)...told me nope...you can fix her. Grrrrrrrr. So it has been a time consuming trial of different things, but she is a fighter and still going! I drop a tube in her crop for fluids and feedings every 6 hours. She will drink when I dip her beak, but no attempts to eat so I have her on kitten milk, vitamins/minerals, and electrolytes. I even took her to work with me today because nobody was home. Tomorrow I am getting her baby bird formula.

As of today, she can pick up her head again, and she can scoot herself 6-8 inches. Before she wouldn't even try. She is laying on my chest right now and when I touch her she chirps just like a cricket. And she is getting a little more fiesty, also.
LOL...dh always said there would be NO HOUSE CHICKENS.
old.gif

Three weeks is how long THAT lasted!
lau.gif
gig.gif
tongue2.gif

he only crows when left alone...so if he isn't alone, he SHOULDNT crow (knock on wood!)

A crow is the rooster's way of communicating with other chickens, perhaps far away. So you are onto something.

I found one of mine laying sideways unable to walk Sunday. I kept reading to cull if they aren't strong and she has always been the runt of the litter. But dh and the fam (who don't like birds and won't touch them really)...told me nope...you can fix her. Grrrrrrrr. So it has been a time consuming trial of different things, but she is a fighter and still going! I drop a tube in her crop for fluids and feedings every 6 hours. She will drink when I dip her beak, but no attempts to eat so I have her on kitten milk, vitamins/minerals, and electrolytes. I even took her to work with me today because nobody was home. Tomorrow I am getting her baby bird formula.

As of today, she can pick up her head again, and she can scoot herself 6-8 inches. Before she wouldn't even try. She is laying on my chest right now and when I touch her she chirps just like a cricket. And she is getting a little more fiesty, also.
Another suggestion is to mix chick starter with plain yogurt in a slurry and try to get that into the chick.
Wow, it sure is time consuming.

Back
Top Bottom