5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Took pics of the babies today...3 weeks old. Now their gender really has me confused. As a reminder, they are Barred Rock roo over Barred Rock or Commercial Black (hatchery BR cross).

If I go by length of the two rows of feathers at 3 days, I have 5 girls.

If I go by the speed of growth of the feathers, I have 1 girls and 4 boys.

If I go by the shade of fuzz (before feathers), I have 1 girl and 4 boys.

If I go by the feather barring in the pictures I took today (as compared to each other), I have 3 girls and 2 boys.

If I go by the size of combs and growth/tint of wattles in the pictures I took today, I have 3 girls and 2 boys.

I do NOT want to wait until they start crowing and/or laying before knowing what they are!!!

Tell me what you think :)

Chick 1 (girl?):

Chick 2 (girl?):

Chick 3 (definite boy):

Chick 4 (definite girl):

Chick 5 (boy?):

Took pics of the babies today...3 weeks old. Now their gender really has me confused. As a reminder, they are Barred Rock roo over Barred Rock or Commercial Black (hatchery BR cross).

If I go by the speed of growth of the feathers, I have 1 girls and 4 boys.

If I go by the shade of fuzz (before feathers), I have 1 girl and 4 boys.

If I go by the feather barring in the pictures I took today (as compared to each other), I have 3 girls and 2 boys.

If I go by the size of combs and growth/tint of wattles in the pictures I took today, I have 3 girls and 2 boys.

I do NOT want to wait until they start crowing and/or laying before knowing what they are!!!

Chick 1 (girl?):

Chick 2 (girl?):

Chick 3 (definite boy):

Chick 4 (definite girl):

Chick 5 (boy?):

Color wise these still all look like roosters to me except number 4. They all have large white splotchy head spot, more white baring on wings and light wash down the fronts of the legs, all that says boys to me.

I guess there is a chance that chicks 1 and 2 could ne girls because of the lack of comb and wattle growth but their heads have such a huge white splotch so its hard to tell.

Last edited:

I would give these 2 things the most weight. Especially the latter. Pullets won't have comb development at this age.
I think your most recent findings to be accurate.

Also, when the chicks are all the same breed, the boys will have thicker/longer legs at this point.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would give these 2 things the most weight. Especially the latter. Pullets won't have comb development at this age.

Also, when the chicks are all the same breed, the boys will have thicker/longer legs at this point.
X2

Watch the questionable ones. With the breed cross you have here, the pink wattle is a give away. If the wattles on them go pink and get bigger over the next several weeks, they will be boys.

X3

3 girls 2 boys

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom