5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

My boys have combs that are out of control huge and bright pink! They are also the friendliest/most curious and will run to eat out of my hand first. They also run around causing the most ruckus in the brooder...and they are roost-hogs!
big_smile.png

My two RIR x EEs both have nothing...just flat furry foreheads...not even teeny tiny combs...and I hope it stays that way! I have probably 5 of my 19 that I am really not sure because they are getting bigger but not pinking up. At least not yet. I was planning to give/sell most of the roos, but I am growing pretty attached to them. VERY entertaining at the end of a stressful day!

It's hard to have to wait to know for sure. I think that's why I want to start a flock of Rhodebars...I love the look of them and some of my neighbors want me to hatch chicks for them for starter flocks. If I could just hand over a roo and 4-5 hens on day 1 that would be so much easier!

Good morning everyone, just thought I would tell everyone something I do to keep my hands warm when I am out messing with my birds. I put on a pair of nitrile rubber gloves . If it's really cold I have on a pair under my regular work glove( I use under armor ). It helps me anyways :)

Good morning everyone, just thought I would tell everyone something I do to keep my hands warm when I am out messing with my birds. I put on a pair of nitrile rubber gloves . If it's really cold I have on a pair under my regular work glove( I use under armor ). It helps me anyways
smile.png

thanks for sharing! can you buy those rubber gloves somewhere like tractor supply or walmart?

Thank God I had enough common sense to bring the waterer's in the house last night. Yesterday was a nightmare, and then I was out every hour picking ice just to give them a quick drink. Praying today is much better!
fl.gif
fl.gif

we have been alternating our waterers for DAYS! I just hoping my jap hasn't come down with frostbite!

[COLOR=800080]Thank God I had enough common sense to bring the waterer's in the house last night. Yesterday was a nightmare, and then I was out every hour picking ice just to give them a quick drink. Praying today is much better!:fl [/COLOR]

The only benefit of the new coops not having runs yet. Water is in the coop so body heat from the birds is keeping them from freezing.

The only benefit of the new coops not having runs yet. Water is in the coop so body heat from the birds is keeping them from freezing.

that's a GREAT idea!i may put mine in a nest box....my nest boxes sit on the floor, so it will work. no one lays or sleeps in the left nest boxes.....WEIRD.

Just make sure it's braced so they can't tip it over. Ice in the coop is NOT a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom